Getting the U2 effect - Rattle and Hum !

Ianch

Standard Member
Reaction score
Equipment

Sony STR-DB930 - Receiver
Sony DVP-S735D
Mission 70 5.1 speaker system with Mission70ASE Sub

Problem

I seem to be getting lots of 'rattle' from the sub rather than solid bass when the action 'hots up'.

The sub is connected directly to the amp via a single RCA stlye jack which is then connected to the low level R & L input on the sub via a 'Y' connector.

Any suggestions how to avoid this rattle or is it a 'feature' I'll have to learn to live with ?

Can you describe exactly what you mean by "rattle". Is there something physically in the sub or in the room that is rattling ?

the rattle is definately coming from the sub - rather than get a good clean bass tone there's a distinctive low level rattle.

Try the sub in different parts of the room, do you have it on spikes, whats the flooring like?

Is it in a corner? As that could make it boom, not sure about rattle though, maybe you have a defective unit, but moving it around the rooma nd maybe tring a different interconnector may work. Also you usualy only need to connect the amp to the left channel no need for the y cable unless it says so in the manual.

Ianch said:
it's on a solid concrete floor and has spikes !

That doesnt sound right. I thought spikes were only for putting on carpet. I'm sure subs are supposed to come with rubber feet for wooden or hard floors?

I can imagine a sub on a concrete floor with spikes rattling.

Mat

A heavy sub on properly adjusted spikes shouldn't rattle so it sounds as if it may be faulty if something is loose. Is the rattle something new or has it always been there ?

had the rattle for a month or two now - will try the suggestion of changing the interconnect and see how I get on.

Thanks for all the posts so far - this is probably the most useful/helpful forum I've ever joined.

The obvious thing to me is make sure that all of the screws/spikes on the cabinet are tightened up. This should include those around the driver, the amplifier module and making sure the spikes havn't worked themselves loose. You may need a Torx screwdriver bit to do this though. :)

If it only happens when "the going gets hot" it may be the cone hitting the end stops. If it doesn't stop it could be the end of your sub. :blush:

Nimby

Is it a rattle or more like scratching type nosie ,either the driver as add it or something as come loose ,have a look at the screws holding the driver in place.(ooops been said).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom