getting the SSD feeling, just a few questions please :)

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by offitmassive, Feb 25, 2013.

1. offitmassive

offitmassive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Im getting the SSD itch, and im ok ish at setting the pc up.. i built my own. idea is too

buy an m4 128gb ssd

do i just take a quick note of the software on my current HDD like anti virus, ms office etc,

clean install windows 7 on SSD
    select in bios ssd as boot drive and ahci,
    reconnect HDD
    format HDD
    then reinstall software i want to keep?

is there a way of only allowing certain types of software onto the SSD like OS, office, then others are downloaded and installed on HDD? or do i create a folder for downloaded software on HDD and install on SSD or HDD?? confused...

what is RAID btw? ive heard it a million times about RAIN on HDD etc... would i benefit it with a (atm) 500gb HDD and 620gb HDD?

2. Ari33

Ari33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    If you have an SSD I doubt you'll find you need it but heres the info.. RAID Levels Explained | PCMag.com

After your SSD is formatted, windows installed etc be sure to run windows performance index, it will recognise the M4 as an SSD and should enable trim automatically.

3. bobbymax

bobbymax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
  4. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,181
    RAID is great if you need high availability of data in high usage/fault tolerant scenarios such as corporate environments or you are someone that does a lot of video editing and need the speed of access a properly setup RAID array can give you. A common misconception of RAID in home use is that it will replace your backups - it doesn't, you still need to backup your data as RAID arrays can be killed a number of ways making all of your data corrupt. Corporate RAID environments always have backups.

You are better off just using straight disk setups and have a robust backup routine for your data - one that includes some offsite storage if it is really important to you.

5. offitmassive

offitmassive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Im also planning on (when i get the ssd) is to decide on a cpu/mobo upgrade too before, as will also want to upgrade to windows 7 x64. can i go from x86 or do i need to buy a new key or new dvd/key package? undecided on amd or intel... i5 2400 or an amd fx? dont do any video rendering, just day to day stuff, web browsing, unzipping large mkv/x264 files and going from 4gb to 8gb+ ram. Got my dlna issue sorted, and all working now.

With SSD installed, how would i set a certain amount of one of my HDD as a partition for software like ps3mediaserver, spybot, itunes etc as the rest will be part of my movies collection.. currently have a 620gb HDD with my OS on, and another 500gb with photos, movies, docs etc, but i want to say keep 120gb of the 620gb reserved for software. along with 128gb of SSD or shall i put all software on the SSD?? and have the 2 HDDs for docs, images etc etc??

6. offitmassive

offitmassive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    OWC SSD is from the states, works out 60gb for approx £60 + p&p and tax, or am i better off getting crucial m4?

7. Ari33

Ari33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    I'd go for a second generation Sata 3 (6GBp/s) SSD that generally gets good reviews, try not to get too caught up in speed comparisons but as a rough rule SSD's are generally faster with the more capacity they have due to the architecture, see- Tom's Hardware's SSD Hierarchy Chart : Best SSDs For The Money: January 2013

The Samsung 840 is currently on offer at Amazon UK , £75 for 120Gb and comes with a 3 year warranty... its a good entry level SSD, good value for money.
    If you want a better, faster high end SSD the Samsung 840 pro is also on offer at the moment, 128GB for £100, very fast, 5 year warranty and has excellent reviews... probably the one I'd go for. ;)

Review- http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/samsung_840_pro_ssd_benchmark_review_test,17.html

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  8. offitmassive

offitmassive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    ok thanks ari33, ive bookmarked that pro version. just gotta decide intel or amd now on my next build. was gonna wait for haswell, but dont wanna be spending daft amounts for the newest chip, keen on an i5 2400, but unsure of what the h,p x and z motherboards are about with all the numbers after!!!

9. offitmassive

offitmassive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Would you pick that over an M4???

10. Ari33

Ari33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Yes... but only because I had a friend who had major problems with his M4 a couple of years ago, I suspect the issue to have been rectified by Crucial since then. It didn't combine well with his Mobo and its Sata controller, it wasn't recognised in the bios and he couldn't enable trim. Quite a few others also have had similar problems (Google it) but that doesn't necessarily mean they would also affect you/your pc.

The Samsung 840 Pro is faster on paper but in reality you would notice very little difference in real world use ie; for huge file transfers, maybe there will be a difference of 10-15 seconds between them. It does have a 5 year warranty vs the M4's 3y warranty though.

I guess it's up to you if you think the slight speed increase and the additional 2 years warranty is worth the extra £15.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  11. offitmassive

offitmassive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Ahh I personally think the 2years extra warranty alone is worth the £15, and seeing as it's quicker (whether or not I notice it... It doesn't matter) it's a no brainer really. Does the non pro still have a 5 year warranty?

12. Ari33

Ari33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    No, the non pro version only has a 3 year warranty.

13. offitmassive

offitmassive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    So glad I didn't nearly just buy win 7 home edition 64 bit... Found out I can use my 32 bit key, so running 64 bit now, bit premature as not got ssd yet!