Question Getting the most out of my new 5.1 set up

Jessica Jones

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I am new to the forum and would appreciate some advice on setting up my new 5.1 system.
I have a Yamaha DSP A5 amp which was previously hooked up to a Canton Movie 80 CX system. I was always slightly disappointed with the sound quality and so very recently bought a second hand system comprising of 3 x Cambridge Audio Min 21s (front) 2 x Min 11s rear and a Minx X300 Sub.
I was advised to set all my speakers on the amp to SMALL and the amp crossover to 140hz. The sound is a big improvement from the Canton, voices are now crisp and clear but I hardly get any volume from the rear speakers to the point where I just don’t hear them. Any ideas please?
Also I’ve always wondered whether to get the best sound from my TV I should be running a coax or other cable from my amp to my TV? I only ever get sound from my TV if I’m in prologic and the amp is on the CBL/SAT from the input selector. Other than photo setting which I use for my turntable the other functions give no sound to TV. Many thanks in advance.

If only using analogue audio connections from sources to the DSP A5 then this would restrict what you can get from a source to just 2 channel stereo. If you were to use the Digital optical audio output from your TV to the receiver then this would allow you to access Dolby Digital encoded audio. Some content may include discrete 5.1 Dolby Digital depending upon which TV channels or streaming services you are using to access it.

The same is true of any other external sources that you may be using such as a DVD player. It would be best to connect such sources digital audio output directly to the AV receiver and configure those sources to BITSTREAM their ditital audio output.

Pro LOgic is basically just upmixing the 2 analogue channels you are currently receiving from the TV. You'd need to use the AV receiver's Digital inputs if wanting to access discrete 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS encoded audio.

Thank you Dante01 I have checked properly today and I do have a digital cable going from my amp to my tv and all the speakers in the 5.1 set up do come on.
My problem is all my power and sound is coming from the three min 21s at the front and the min 11s are virtually inaudible in comparison.
I ran a tone test and found the centre speaker louder than the rest and then raised the DBs on the rear speakers. Tried with my turntable and still the rears very quiet by comparison. Perhaps this is just due to running the larger speakers at the front. Just disappointed with the quality of the min 11s as they had great reviews.

I can only suggest that you calibrate your setup. Unlike newer AV receivers, your older model doesn't include auto calibration or come supplied with a calibration mic. You're basically ging to need an SPL (Sound Pressure Level) meter to be able to level your speakers relative to your listening location. The receiver does include the ability to generate and output a test tone that you can use to level the speakers with.

snapshot001.jpg

snapshot002.jpg

You are basically trying to attain the same SPL relative to each speaker as measured from where you ordinarilly listen from. You can download free SPL meter apps for both iOS and Android devices such as phones, iPads and or tablets.

Once this is done then what you are hearing from the surrunds is what you are intended to hear at the level it was intended to be portrayed.

If you were still not satisfied by this then you could increase the levels ascociated with the rear speakers a little in accordance with your own tastes, but I'd not increase this too much or things will start to sound unbalanced and unnatural.

Thank you, yes I’m looking into the tone test now.
When I’ve called shops for advice I’ve been told it’s the amplifier that’s letting the side down but I not so sure!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom