1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting the best visually from my system

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by jonjon, Jul 13, 2004.

1. jonjon

jonjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I notice a few of us here have got the same or very similar set-ups - Pioneer Plasma (434 or 504), AVR300 and DV79.

After just shifting my room around, remounting the plasma and having set everything up again I don't seem to be as happy as I was previously with what's coming out on the screen from the DV79 over HDMI. It all seems a little grainy than it was before, and as for the quality I purchased it on from the demo, for some reason it's nowhere near.

Is it worth getting the new media box from Pioneer and giving the YUV over HDMI a shot?

What settings are people using on the plasma and DV79 for best results?

Cheers in advance.

............ off to phone Pioneer again.

2. LeeT

LeeT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon came down and calibrated mine yesterday. The biggest changes he made were to do with the red/blue colour differences, the panel was set up too blue. He used the service menu and some clever colour sampling device to alter the "Colour Temp" to bring the panel back to the defined Standard. PQ is now better than ever and has left me :D

I changed over to the Wireworld HDMI cable and believe that this has made a difference over the 2m Molex cable I was using prviously.

Well worth the £250.00 on calibration considering having spent close on £8k on HC stuff in the last 2 months (Dont tell her indoors!!!)

3. spikeyboy3

spikeyboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lee - who dod the calibration on your plasma ? can you let me know how to get hold of him - see if he can do mine.

Is it best to let the Plasma run in a bit first ?

Ive set mine up with the Avia disk but havent touched the blue, green and red settings as i need to get some colours filters first - but if Gordon does this and more via the service menu (presume there is special code to enter this menu) then may well get him round.

Spike

4. LeeT

LeeT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Spike

You need to get in touch with Gordon, gordon@convergent-av.co.uk, he did a great job and I would highly recommend him he was very open and gave a commentary on what he was doing and why, which is always a good sign.

My 504HDE has just over 300 hours on it and I suggest that you should have 200 under your belt before calibration. I too used Avia to do an initial setup which was "good enough" until I put the hours on the panel. Having spent some serious cash on the panel and the other HC stuff I thought that spending £250.00 on the calibration was worth it.

Access into the service menu has been documented on the forum before and is the same for the 434 and the 504. I used it to see how many hours I had on the panel.

Which HDMI leads are you using as a matter of interest?

Hope this helps, give me a shout if you need any other info.

Cheers

Lee

5. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Lee - did you find that the Wireworld makes a difference to the pic quality from your DV79 and 504HDE ?

6. LeeT

LeeT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO I did Rags but that may just me justifying the cost. I need to do a back to back with the Molex when I have time. The Molex was a 2m lead and the Wireworld is 1m so dont know if this would make a difference also.

As with most upgraded cables, have just gone to VdH The First Ulitmate interconnects and been amazed, I would anticipate and expect that a cable costing £120.00 should out perform one costing £40.00. Whether it would be on the same ratio of cost to performance I doubt, but I am certainly happy with the Wireworld, it seemed to give greater depth of image and a clearer presentation. Which are you using now?

Lee

7. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Lee - just using a standard 2m one - I think its Molex but never bothered checking. Doing a quick search there seems to be a few manufacturers releasing HDMI cables at the moment -

Chord - £75
    Wireworld - £120 + another more expensive version
    Supra - £45

I may just order the Chord or the Supra to give it a try.

8. spikeyboy3

spikeyboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Umm not sure which one i have - cost me £60 from Sevenoaks Sound & Vision - in fact just checked my receipt - its a molex - probs been stripped up on the price there then.

Thanks for the info Lee - no ill go find the service menu access codes and see how many hours i have on the beast :)

Spike

9. jonjon

jonjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    could it be a the spaghetti of cables behind my cabinet? (it is seriously bad behind there!! :blush: )
    interference? from power cables? all cables.

do these things honestly help http://www.russandrews.com/product....&customer_id=PAA1289079304225WEGMOSZYECTQKQJE ?

though reading what's been said it maybe worth looking at a decent HDMI cable and calibrating the set - AVIA DVD came last week so I should run through it soon (3month old is eating up all available time and then I'm too knackered to do anything else when he's a sleep!)

spikeyboy - i got filters with my DVD

also, i was showing my father how the quality had changed on saturday and it looked good again. sometimes it just at different times of day.