1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting the best out of TT2

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Pulsar, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hello guys.

I have been using TT for a few years now, making the upgrade to TT2 when it was released last year. I have always thought that the picture quality is great, even when I swtiched from a HS10 projector to a Panny 6 plasma. Anyway, I have looked at FFDSHOW a few times but have never fully implemented it. This is my reason for posting. :D

Could some kind soul (I include you Robin ;) ) go through all the settings on TT2 and FFDSHOW and give advice on what settings I should use, please?

My HTPC is currently a Athlon 2600XP with a Radeon 9600 and 256MB RAM. I know that some of the FFDSHOW filters can be CPU intensive, so I can always use my Athlon 64 3200 - Radeon X800 - 1 gig RAM machine to test with, and upgrade the HTPC as necessary.

Your input is greatly appreciated, and shall be rewarded I'm sure. :cool:

Cheers

Rob

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    Well they've kind of screwed things up with the latest 2.1 release as its quite soft (NTSC is ok but still softer than before and PAL is much) Hopefully we'll get a new patch.

Anyway I've got an HS20 so our situations are similar.
    The most important thing to gain from ffdshow use is better scaling compared with letting the graphics card handle it.

I use lanszos 2 (parameter 2) in the resize filter and overscale to 1920x1080 (ffdshow can't handle the 1368x768 res I use on my HS20). I don't use any luma or chroma sharpening although a little chroma gaussian can help with noise. I then use the unsharp mask in the sharpening filter set to around 20-30.

I don't use any other filtering or denoising.

I tend to leave TT deinterlacing set to film but bump it to smart or other settings if the material is a bit knackered.
    I also disable NVPP as it softens the picture and really only beefits field based material.

When you use ffdshow you have to turn of auto aspect ratio and manually set the aspect ratio for each film ( pretty easy as 90% is likely to be 16x9)

Also use the right version of ffdshow for your cpu.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    A good starting point for FFDSHOW is the famous 'how to'. If you follow that, it's a bit involved but pretty straightforward, you should end up with something that works, even if not optimum.

IMHO you should use the 20041012 version, not SSE2 if you're using an XP+. For filters I'd suggest starting with only Lanczos 2 scaling, disable all other filters, perhaps push up Luma Sharpen to 1.0 or higher to offset some softening.

Your CPU is more than capable of handling that load. Once you've got that settled you can then experiment.

OTOH, what display have you got now? What's it's resolution? If it's not signifcantly larger than basic DVD then FFDSHOW scaling isn't going to help all that much. In that case then Denoise may help a bit for some poor quality DVDs.

For a Radeon you should start off with Overlay, and probably stick with it, IMX the 9600's VMR isn't as good. As Mr. D. says, don't use NVPP, it 'clouds' the image without adding any useful functionality.

4. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Thanks for the tips guys.
    I shall implement them, and get back to you.

Cheers

Rob