1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting the best out of a Toshiba 26WL46

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by byron_hinson, Oct 19, 2004.

1. byron_hinson

byron_hinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I've just got a Toshiba 26WL46 thinking it would look better than my old CRT 28" Sony, well I'm quite disappointed - watching DVD's from my Pioneer DVD player it looks low quality, its connected up to one of the two RGV scart sockets yet it looks a lot worse than the pictures did on my old TV.

How can I improve the picture, it looks quite pastal like, pasty.

2. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Have you tried playing with the settings, like turning down the brightness or turning off "black stretch" or adjusting the sharpness or level of the back light? I have also read that some LCD TVs look better with the light on in the room - the light shining on the screen "biases" the picture, making the blacks look blacker.

In my opinion the old interlaced (no fancy 50Hz or 100Hz) TVs have the best picture quality in terms of colour. No LCD can reproduce the same range of colours. And the LCD is also handicapped by having to do an extra analogue to digital conversion.

3. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got a Tosh 26WL46 and it looks superb and that's without adjusting the settings from the default (not had time to play yet). I had a quick look last night and the contrast is set to 100 and the brightness to 50. Colours are very vivid (perhaps a little too much in fact). I'm using a Denon DVD 2800II connected via RGB scart as I've not got round to buying component cables yet and may not even bother as the picture is perfectly good using the scart.

4. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I found the PQ on my 26" WL46 awful at first. The picture was heavily pixelated, blocky ect. Colours were all over the place. However, I'd left it on for a few hours and when I came back to it the picture had significantly improved. Anyway, I've had the set for 2 months now and on the whole the pQ is great with dvd, Gamecube and NTL digital sources, (apart from low bit rate programmes/poorly encoded dvd's).

5. bobby1amp

bobby1amp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also compared my 26wl46 ( 3 weeks old ) to my sony 28" ( 6 yrs old ) and the picture is no where as good, i read beforehand that crt was still the best for PQ but didn't expect such a difference, thing is i bought it particularly for wall mounting in the bedroom with sky digital (which i should have looked into further as brackets for this size lcd are not common ). At the mo the contrast/brightness/colour setting are 60/50/50.
    Am going to take advice from above post and leave the set switched on with hope of some improvement.

6. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    When I said I'd left it switched on you do understand that this was the 1st day that I'd had the set. I didn't mean that I leave the set on permanently, or put it on hours before watching etc. I know this is probably obvious but I thought it possible that my post may have been open to interpretation.

7. bobby1amp

bobby1amp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i realised that, but not used it much and thought if it was left on for a few hours things might improve. The picture is very grainy, if that means anything to you. Its about 10ft from viewing position, i've also noticed dramatic change in colour if viewing off centre.

8. bobby1amp

bobby1amp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have had a play with the settings today and now at 55/70/45 also reduced the backlight to 4 and a lot happier now !
    on another point does anyone know how to get my digibox remote to control volume, on/off, etc.

9. byron_hinson

byron_hinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    What digibox have you got

10. bobby1amp

bobby1amp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ita a Pace 2500B.

Sorted now thanks, used the nokia code 536 and it seems to work ?

11. byron_hinson

byron_hinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    My problem is mostly concerned with console gaming, playing the Xbox on RGB scart is where I notice the picture being far worse than before, the games look feels smudged.