1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting the BEST from what you have got !!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dUnKle, Nov 5, 2000.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,489
    I know I have asked the question many times B4 and I know that like the humble PC very few set-ups are the same. But what in everybodys opinion is the best way to set up your Amp and Speakers ?

I have found the articles accessed from the little remote thingy to your left give some great info but what are other peoples thoughts ?

Using my Denon A1D I have tried various configs. I currently have my B&W603s and CC6 set as LARGE with BASS being sent to BOTH the sub ( REL Q100E ) and the whole of the front soundstage. This was recommended to me by Mr Stokes and sounds very good and goes against those articles that I mentioned B4. However after much repeat listening I am unsure as to if it sounds better than having ALL speakers set as SMALL and bass going to the sub ONLY.

What do you lot think ?

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The choice is up to you!

I have a setup that comprises of:

Denon AVR 2800
    AE AE101 x5
    AE Aegis Sub.

I have tried several setup options, even having the tiny AE101's as large which helps them to integrate better with the sub.

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'
    MiB 1997

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

3. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Duncan, I think I might just have the answer - it's simple but it's not going to be cheap.

Trade in your B&Ws for the M&K 750 THX Select left, right, centre and rear speakers!

You'll then have no option but to set the speakers to "small" - in fact for movies you could even just hit the "THX" button on your A1 and everything will be sorted out for you.

Although this may leave you with quite a hole in your wallet, it will give you a huge front soundstage with movies and yet still sound great for 2 channel or multi channel music.

------------------
    This is a local shop for local people - there's nothing for you here!

4. simonsez

simonsez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan, I have L/R main and L/R surrounds set to large and I have my CC6 set to small. the bass goes to all four speakers and the two subwoofers. I think too much low frequency info makes the CC6 sound boomy or congested.