1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting the best from sky with my PW6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by saturday, Dec 11, 2003.

1. saturday

saturday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'd appreciate your views.

I currently have my Sky+ box connected to my Yamaha AX640SE via S-Vid. The amp is connected to my plasma via component. The image is OK - pretty good on the movie channels and bearable on the lower bit channels.

I'm wondering if I could improve things by buying a JS-Technology RGB to Component converter i.e. Sky box via scart to JS box, JS box via component to amp?

Can anyone that has done this give their view on the result? Was it worth the £200 (with cable cost)?

Also, I'm currently using a cheap (toslink?) cable to carry the audio from sky to amp. Do you think a better quality cable would be worth the investment (£30)?

Thanks.

2. Dixie

Dixie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi
    I too have my Panny wired up in a similar way and am very happy with pic quality.I also have been thinking of changing to your idea but havnt coz of cost against pos not much pic gain.
    Pls keep us imformed if you go ahead.

Cheers

3. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Contact John Sim and ask him for his advice: http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/about/about.htm
    He will give you an honest opinion on whether his converter will be able to improve the PQ in your set-up.

As for the optical cable, as long as it is not degrading the signal in any way, a different cable will make no difference.
    This carries digital signals which have 2 discrete values - 1 or 0 and as long as what comes out of the end matches what is fed in, the resulting sound, after being decoded by your amp will be identical for every cable. This is unavoidable due to the very nature of digital signals.
    There are many people however who believe better (i.e. more expensive) cables will make a difference.

Do some testing and see for yourself.

4. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Saturday,

in a word, yes. I've got the option of using S-Video from Sky + or YUV via the component converter. The component converter gives a significant improvement in picture quality, and this is why I use my very own RGB to Component (YUV) converter. While S-Video is still a good option, it can't give the colour detail to the level that using component can.

Is it worth the £200? Quite simply, yes. Especially when you've got several thousand pounds worth of equipment and using such a converter allows you to get the very best from it!

As for TOSLINK cables, I've not done any side by side comparisons between different ones. I sell the Tech+Link ones, and use them in my system. I think it's worth spending something on them, only to the point that you're comfortable with. As for video cables, I've looked at several brands. The very best I've tried is from Better Cables (see Joe at The Media Factory). The ones you get free supplied with A/V equipment are usually very basic, and upgrading them can certainly improve picture and sound quality. Pay particular attention to your high quality sources. It will certainly be worth buying a good quality lead for Sky, but your VCR won't ever be able to produce the same level of picture quality. Same too with audio patch leads.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

5. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    John, sorry to hijack...

Would you make the same recommendation on plasma's which have an RGB capable scart input?

Also, do you still rate the RGB2VGA as a better solution rather than RGB2YUV if the plasma supports both? (especially as the Panny 6's now support 'Just' mode on both VGA and YUV inputs)

Cheers

JJ

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Jason, it's actually very hard to see the difference on a panny 6, the main reason for the component converter is to alow your amp to switch the video, obviously they don't switch RGBHV! If you have no component capable amp, the VGA unit is cheaper and just as good in my view.

7. frank.leggett

frank.leggett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have a panny 6 with a yamaha 640 but the manual only says it converts svideo to composite and not to component. I would like to try it out as the panny6 doesn't have a true RGB input you can tell this because you can turn the colour up and down where as with a proper RGB input the levels are fixed. So if the yamaha does convert svideo to component can you tell me how.

8. saturday

saturday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    frank

Rereading my post I can see that I should have read it before posting! I was using the amp for video switching (but I now have my sky box directly connected to my plasma via svideo and DVD via component - amp now only handles sound).

The 640 can not convert svideo to component which is why I was asking about a JS converter.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello all

Frank - intrigued by your PWD6 not having a True RGB input; what sorts it got then ? :)

Most folk would find it a bonus to be able to adjust the RGB decoder using the 'User Menu' and not having to go 'behind the scenes' and get at the 'Service' menu.

Saturday - as per previous posts I'd go with the JS Tech RGB2VGA or RGB2YUV and you will see the benefits of either one over your S-Video connection.

If you plan to keep the display for a while and are prone to 'Upgrade-itis' I'd suggest the RGB2YUV as that way you can look at introducing an external video processor (iScan, Lumagen etc) at some stage into your system as most of these prefer YUV signals over RGB.

Best regards

Joe

10. saturday

saturday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe

Thanks for your comments. I find the whole area of connections very challenging - I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Good point about YUV. I had thought about getting a scaler, especially with prices dropping recently but I'm anxious about adding in any more video processing - too many horror stories about lip sync. I already find it a bit of a problem (some sky channels seem particularly bad) and I don't want to add to this. I know I could upgrade my amp to one offering audio delay but that would be really piling on the cost. I guess I should try and find a local dealer who could lend me a scaler for home demo, then I could judge the effect.

Then there's the issue of video swithching and the need to feed my plasma with component to enable the progressive output from my DVD player.

Currently I have feeds direct from sky+ box and DVD to Plasma using svideo and component respectively. As you would expect, the DVD image is fabulous. Sky is variable but, particularly after calibrating the component input with Avia and copying these across to svideo (I'll do this properly when I have a bit more time) the image for the higher bit rate channels is very acceptable.

Ideally I would like just one connection from amp to plasma so had in mind sky+ box via JS converter to amp, DVD via component to amp and amp via component to plasma.

I have some anxiety over whether the amp would degrade the video signal though. I could of course experiment but don't particularly want to end up with a set of expensive connectors that I don't end up using. Maybe I could get some on loan too?

Any more thoughts?

cheers.

11. frank.leggett

frank.leggett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    regarding a true rgb connection I have read in other threads on avforums that the RGB input on display devices (TVs Monitors, Projectors, Plasmas etc) can vary as to how it finally appears on the screen. By that I mean the way the display device decodes the RGB information. From what I have read a TV with a true RGB connection disables the saturation setting because it has a difinative colour value from the RGB input whereas if you can increase the saturation you know the RGB input has been converted to SVideo inside the TV.