1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting the best from my Panny AE100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by wynouk, Jan 24, 2003.

1. wynouk

wynouk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panny AE100 and would like to improve the picture quality when watching sky tv.
    At present i have a pace sky decoder with no s/vid outlet so i bought a rgb to s/vid convertor and hooked it up from the scart lead from the sky to the convertor then from the convertor to the panny with a s/vid lead.
    The picture was better but i still have a chicken wire effect on the screen and as much as i play around with the settings on the panny i can't get rid of it while watching sky.

If anyone could advise me on any other way of getting the best from sky as i have ran out of idea's.
    I have a PC hooked up to the Panny as well using RGB but I'm also disapointed with the low resolutions (800x 600) fom it as well....... I'm sure it could be set up better somehow??

I've saw something about line doublers??? but don't Know much about them or any other devices so any help on this would be great thanks.

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi wynouk,

Sky TV:

There have been good reports of improvements in Sky TV picture quality using a gizmo called a ProV (also called XGA Theater) - this box takes in a composite video or an Svideo feed from your Sky decoder, and converts it to VGA, SVGA or XGA computer signal - efffectively it outputs a progressive video signal at these resolutions. Do a search for "prov" and you'll find lots of info.

PC:

If you're PC is outputting an 800x600 resolution into the AE100, its bound to look fairly ropey ! Try 1024x768 (XGA) - it will look better. To get the best result in picture quality from a PC + AE100, you need to get a copy of a program called "Powerstrip" - you can download it here .

This program will allow you to set up a custom video resolution on your PC which will match the panel resolution of the AE100 - (856x484) - this is known as 1:1 pixel matching, or pixel-perfect. It effectively sends the AE100 a progressive computer video signal which bypasses the internal scalar in the AE100 - its the dogs danglies in picture quality.

You'll find the relevant details for doing this in this post - credit to Hoglet, all you ever need to know about PC and AE100, including links to stuff on avsforum, is in that thread.

Have fun !!

Sean G.

3. wynouk

wynouk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that, I'll read up on it for now. thanks

4. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Wynouk

I was in the position just before Christmas. Sean recommended the same piece of kit. It does make a hell of a difference. It takes a bit of tweaking to get the best out of with the brightness, contrast, saturation settings etc. You might be able to find out what settings other people are using as a starting point. Just do a search on here for ProV settings (or something similar).

In the end I got mine from Scancom

http://www.scancom.ltd.uk/products/tv4000.htm

Their product is the XGA Theatre, but it's just a rebadged ProV and it's well priced there as well. Just make sure you get some decent quality interconnects as well.

cheers

Chris

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    ProV is currently £99.99 at keene.co.uk