1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting The Best From A 42PD5200

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by willberry, May 27, 2004.

1. willberry

willberry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Plasma ignoramus, so please be patient...

On Saturday I am to take delivery of my first plasma - an Hitachi 42PD5200. My current DVD player is an old Sony 735D which is hooked up via a (non progressive) component output.

With the Hitachi's Alis screen would I notice any improvement going to a progressive scan player, if not are more modern players likely to give a significantly better image (I am budgeting around £600 but could go upto £1000 if it was outstanding - multiregion is a must).

I was eyeing up one of the HDMI Pioneers and was wondering if HDMI to DVI via an adaptor would either work or be worth it.

Will things like the Iscan help with the image on this screen?

As a general issue after reading some scare stories I am a bit paranoid about trying my 2.35:1 DVD's out when I get it (border top and bottom) will it be safe and if not how long should I wait? (assuming I calibrate contrast + brightness to decent level using DVE)

Lots of questions, any info welcome.

2. willberry

willberry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok maybe someone can answer this :lease:

Is the best option to purchase an IscanHD or a pioneer 868AVi with an HDMI to VGA adaptor ?

3. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    hi i also would like to know if the hdmi makes a difference,why doesnt anyone reply :rolleyes:

4. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,653
    Can't answer the hdmi question I'm afraid , but on the black bar question I can give you some input. :D
    If you calibrate it as best you can with whatever set up disc you have then you should be ok .Mine is my main tv , so it gets a lot of use on sky , xbox and dvd (ie DOGS , OSD and black bars galore :laugh: ) and I have only had any image retention once (opening credits of MIIB , black screen ,liberal scattering of stars and RIP TORN in bright white six inch letters :blush: ) I paused sky plus at this very point for about 10 minutes , when I came back to press play there it was staring me in the face :eek: , but it soon subsided with normal use (about 30 mins into the film) , if the film had'nt been so dark it would probably have gone quicker.
    Normal rules apply , turn contrast and brightness down , I think using normal 16:9 programming regularly will help as well
    all the best
    johnscarlet

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sensible use is the byword with Hitachi in particular, they are so bright. Everything is turned up to the max when you get it. A better DVD will always help, an iscanHD will certainly help, it ignores PnP info, you can force resolutions, ie 1024x1024, letting the iscan do all the scaling. You can't connect HDMI dvd players to the iscan, though you could to the plasma.

6. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I have a PD3000 and if you feed it via the component sockets, it deinterlaces interlaced signals internally (same with RGB - scart) but it sends progressive signals straight through (obviously using the dvd's interlacer) to final processing before display.

I have found that the deinterlacing performance of players in the £100 - £300 range (e.g. HK22 in component PS) is similar to the Hitachi, but the deinterlacing of a top end player (Arcam DV88+) is much better.

I can't vouch for any others but I think that it is probably worth spending extra for a high performance deinterlacing solution. Be sure to compare demo before shelling out a lot of hard earned cash.