Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Getting television to My PJ -advice req'd.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bristol Pete, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    I want to get TV broadcasts to my PJ ready for next years European Football Championships - so there is plenty of time!However, I have been racking my brain to find a way to do this, bearing in mind that my AV room is upstairs at the rear of the house, whilst my sky box is downstairs in the front room.

Basically, I do not want to run a cable from the SKY box through the house as it will simply be too long. Here is my solution -

Fit high gain TV ariel into the attic.

Purchase Freeview Sat box.

Run RF out from ariel into rear of freeview box which will be sat on a shelf above the PJ.

Connect a nice RGB scart lead from freeview box to Panny AE300 scart socket.

Can anyone see a reason why this will not work.

I know that I will need to consider audio on top of that but it seems to make sense, and hopefully, I will not get shoddy SKY digital bit rates ! I could of course just use the PJs audio facility which isnt up to much.

Any opinions?

Cap:smashin:

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,721
    That will work, or you could try a video sender and connect it to your sat box downstairs - Argos do one, and if it doesn't work very well, you can take it back within 14 days.

I used one for a while but the signal wasn't the best unfortunatly. I ran the audio through my av amp too, and as it was stereo, I could use the DPL II facility.

Gary.

3. TwistedPear

TwistedPear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Cap... I had the same problem. I have my SKY box centrally located in the loft, feeding all my TV's via RF with a LabGear splitter/amp/IR sender. This was fine when I just had sky through TV's.

Then I wanted best quality TV when I bought my Sim2 HT200 - mainly for football. So I bought a S-Video capable VCR, and used it as a tuner. I could only get mono through this method, and the picture quality was very poor. So, I found a method of "sending" the S-Video and Stereo (or 5.1 if my Sky box supported it - which it doesn't), through Cat5 cable (network cable) to my Projector and A/V amp. I bought 2 S-Video baluns from MadNat , which worked out cheaper than the VCR. It works a treat - not as perfect as a high quality S-Video cable direct from Sky Box to Projector over a short distance, but almost.

Hope this helps

Pear

4. kwagger

kwagger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Captain,

I use a (v. old nokia) freeview box to watch telly on my AE300 through the scart socket and it works a treat. RGB picture is noticibly better than the composite.

With a sender (which I use for the tv in the bedroom) I believe that it will only give you a composite signal (mine does) and also the signal picks up interference from the microwave, if the neighbours are drilling etc. not a massive problem normally, but renders the image unwatchable when it does occur - (if you lived next door to a dentist for example !! :eek: ).

However, if there is such a thing as a sender which sends RGB and is not succeptable to interference then this would do the trick without needing a new aerial. (And I want one too.!!!)

hope this helps

K