1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting television to My PJ -advice req'd.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bristol Pete, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I want to get TV broadcasts to my PJ ready for next years European Football Championships - so there is plenty of time!However, I have been racking my brain to find a way to do this, bearing in mind that my AV room is upstairs at the rear of the house, whilst my sky box is downstairs in the front room.

Basically, I do not want to run a cable from the SKY box through the house as it will simply be too long. Here is my solution -

Fit high gain TV ariel into the attic.

Purchase Freeview Sat box.

Run RF out from ariel into rear of freeview box which will be sat on a shelf above the PJ.

Connect a nice RGB scart lead from freeview box to Panny AE300 scart socket.

Can anyone see a reason why this will not work.

I know that I will need to consider audio on top of that but it seems to make sense, and hopefully, I will not get shoddy SKY digital bit rates ! I could of course just use the PJs audio facility which isnt up to much.

Any opinions?

Cap:smashin:

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    That will work, or you could try a video sender and connect it to your sat box downstairs - Argos do one, and if it doesn't work very well, you can take it back within 14 days.

I used one for a while but the signal wasn't the best unfortunatly. I ran the audio through my av amp too, and as it was stereo, I could use the DPL II facility.

Gary.

3. TwistedPear

TwistedPear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Cap... I had the same problem. I have my SKY box centrally located in the loft, feeding all my TV's via RF with a LabGear splitter/amp/IR sender. This was fine when I just had sky through TV's.

Then I wanted best quality TV when I bought my Sim2 HT200 - mainly for football. So I bought a S-Video capable VCR, and used it as a tuner. I could only get mono through this method, and the picture quality was very poor. So, I found a method of "sending" the S-Video and Stereo (or 5.1 if my Sky box supported it - which it doesn't), through Cat5 cable (network cable) to my Projector and A/V amp. I bought 2 S-Video baluns from MadNat , which worked out cheaper than the VCR. It works a treat - not as perfect as a high quality S-Video cable direct from Sky Box to Projector over a short distance, but almost.

Hope this helps

Pear

4. kwagger

kwagger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Captain,

I use a (v. old nokia) freeview box to watch telly on my AE300 through the scart socket and it works a treat. RGB picture is noticibly better than the composite.

With a sender (which I use for the tv in the bedroom) I believe that it will only give you a composite signal (mine does) and also the signal picks up interference from the microwave, if the neighbours are drilling etc. not a massive problem normally, but renders the image unwatchable when it does occur - (if you lived next door to a dentist for example !! :eek: ).

However, if there is such a thing as a sender which sends RGB and is not succeptable to interference then this would do the trick without needing a new aerial. (And I want one too.!!!)

hope this helps

K