1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Surround Sound through anything connected to TV

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Caprylate, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Caprylate

Caprylate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can anyone help me out?

I have this Surround Sound package, with this DVD player, connected to this TV. I have set up the Surround Sound and it is working fine, DVD's look and sound amazing on it. However the TV speakers supply the sound for the NTL and of course that isn't nearly as good as a 5.1 system. The DVD player has a ML/MR connection which allowed me to play Xbox in surround sound, but I don't know how to set it up to have sound come from the speakers when watching NTL.

It is setup with DVD scart into NTL another NTL scart into the TV, and the VHS player connected to the TV directly. NTL and the DVD player share EXT1 (AV1) and the VHS player is on EXT2 (AV2). I'm really confused on it.

Thanks in advance,

Caprylate.

2. Caprylate

Caprylate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  3. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,256
    If your TV has phono outputs then they will allow you to connect your TV back to your surround sound system.
    If you're TV doesn't have them then check the manual to see if the TV will output from AV2 - if it is then something like this will let you grab the sound output and connect with a 2 phono lead to your surround sound system.
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/AD007.html

Also check your NTL box - the older Pace models have audio outputs but the later ones had them removed.

If your surround sound system has an optical input then it would be worth using that to connect your Xbox to get full Dolby Digital Surround sound.

If you're still confused post back the details of the TV and the surround sound kit and we'll see what we can recommend.

You might get more response in the 'All in one' forum over here...http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114

4. Caprylate

Caprylate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So let me understand this, I would but that scart block thing and instead of plugging the 5.1 cables into the DVD player, I would plug it into the scart block which would go into AV2?

The NTL box (I'm pretty certain) has audio L & audio R, but I wouldn't know how to connect it up if possible to allow sound through everything.

The DVD player has an optical connection but the speakers don't and neither does the TV.

The TV, DVD player and speakers are all in the first post as lazy links.

5. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,256
    I think you have connected your SCART leads as best you can and you have connected your DVD player to the speakers using the best method you can.

I found a link to the manual for your surround sound system
    http://www.acousticsolutions.net/PRODUCTS/IMS/AS150.pdf

I assume you've connected 6 phono cables from the DVD player to the surround sound system. As the surround sound system doesn't have any digital inputs so the best sound you'll get from your Xbox is ProLogic Surround through the DVD player. NTL only outputs stereo anyway so again the best you'll get is ProLogic Surround. (Note the DVD is using a Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound system which is much better than Dolby ProLogic)

What I was suggesting is that some TVs can send sound from their second SCART socket - if it's labelled with arrows in both directions that's a good indication.

You connect a splitter between the TV and the SCART lead to the Video and connect the red and white sockets on the splitter to the left/right inputs on the front of the DVD player. When you select a TV channel (or NTL channel) then corresponding the stereo sound from the TV will be sent out of the second SCART down the red and white wires through the DVD player and out of the speakers.

This isn't going to offer you any real benefits apart from you can use the surround sound speakers for all your sound and turn the TV down.

The quickest way to see if this is going to be worth the time and energy is to leave everything set up as it is and use a 2 phono to 2 phono (red and white to red and white) lead to connect the sockets on the back of your NTL box to the front of the DVD player. Good luck!

6. Caprylate

Caprylate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    For some reason the way it is set-up now, if the speakers are turned on and at maximum volume you can quietly hear what is on NTL, but because of the speakers at full volume you can hear a whistling noise. Is it quiet even on high volume because cables are connected losely or something?