1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting surround sound from Sky+ to hifi

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by GregUK, May 5, 2005.

1. GregUK

GregUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The plan is to to get 5.1 surround from an Amstrad Sky+ box to a Technics hifi with built-in dolby digital decoder.

I was hoping to do this using an optical cable. The Sky+ box has an optical out, but the hifi doesn't have an optical connector - it only has phono inputs.

I have limited knowledge of this, but it appears that if I connect Sky+ to hifi using a phono cable, the dolby digital signal is lost, and the sound is output in stereo.

What is the solution to this problem? Do I need an optical cable with an optical to phono converter box?

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    AFAIK, you can't get Dolby Digital 5.1 from phone inputs, onlt via digital optical or coax so you'd be stuck with ProLogic from the phono inputs.

John

3. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    Greg,

if your technics system is 5.1, there should be a coaxial digital input.
    You could get an optical-coax converter like this one.

4. GregUK

GregUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If you don't have either an optical or a co-axial input on your hi-fi, then you do not have a Dolby Digital decoder.

I suspect that you are confusing Dolby Digital with Dolby Surround ?

A Dolby Surround amp can decode from any stereo source, so all you need is a R & L audio connection.

6. GregUK

GregUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nick_UK

I'm certain I have a Dolby Digital decoder. The logo is on the front of the hifi (as well as Dolby Surround), plus it says it has here on the Comet website.

The DVD component is connected to the sound processor by means of a ribbon cable.

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It looks like your DVD player has a DD 5.1 decoder, not the amp, and this does not appear to allow an external DD source to be connected. You might get conformation of this from the manual, or from Technics, but you're unlikely to get much sense from Comet.

P.S. I notice Comet call this a "Home Cinema System" but Technics call it a "Hi Fi System" ? :rolleyes:

8. GregUK

GregUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, so there's no way to do this without an intermediary DD decoder. Even then, I wouldn't be able to connect this to phono inputs without downgrading to stereo sound, would I?

i.e.
    Sky+ ---Optical--- External DD decoder ===Phono=== Hifi input

Thanks

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The Comet spec says it features a Dolby Pro-Logic II decoder, so if you feed stereo into it, it will decode any Pro-Logic II coded stuff that's transmitted.

I assume that you know that DD 5.1 is only available on selected movies on Sky Movies 1,2 & 3, and some Disney Channel stuff ?

P.S. If you want DD 5.1 from Sky, I'd consider changing the amp/speakers. It looks like it might be difficult to feed 6 discrete audio sources into this amp.

10. GregUK

GregUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, well DPL2 is better than nothing. Are more programmes generally broadcast with DPL2 than are with DD?

I guess if I'm that desperate to get DD sound, I could always record from Sky+ to DVD-R and preserve the DD signal that way.

Yes, I've been testing with Sky Movies 1, and have checked that the programme information displays "DD".

Thanks.

11. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I wouldn't necessarily 100% assume that the DPL2 proccesor is in the amp either. That might be only be on the chip in the DVD player too. If you select one of the external inputs, then will the system allow you to call up Dolby Pro Logic on the remote - or are you permanently stuck with sound out of two speakers only?

Are there any DVD recoders that allow you to record a DD signal ? There wasn't when I was looking for a recorder 12 months ago.

12. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You've summed up what I was thinking. I don't know of any free standing DVD recorders that will record the DD 5.1 bit stream. You may be able to do it with a PC (just about anything is possible on a PC).

Greg, you have a good hi-fi amplifier and speakers which (as a party piece) will also play DD 5.1 DVD's. However, I would not call what you have a Home Cinema amplifier, by any stretch of the imagination, and my best advice if you want to go further down the Home Cinema road is to sell it and buy some separate AV units.

13. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,653
    Once upon a time , I had the original version of this Technics Hifi . With both Analogue Sky and VHS connected to the Phono input( Y splitters) , I was always able to listen in DPL . Don't see any reason why you couldn't do the same with their latest offering .It would be a bit of a backward step if you couldn't :)
    Ahh the memories ........
    John

14. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268