• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Getting stuff from sky to other Hard Drive

the fd

Standard Member
Hi all,

I have sky HD and was planning to record the new series of 24 which starts tomorrow (Sunday). I would like to keep the recordings and watch them in a one'r. If I record them in HD then I won't have ennough space to keep them all on my box - so I would like to copy them to my Sony RDR-HXD995 which has a much bigger memory capacity.

I have my Sony in my kitchen with the Sky in the lounge. I have a coax cable which runs from the lounge into my TV in the kitchen with a Magic Eye - this allows me to watch sky in the kitchen, but the same channel as the lounge only. I have no way of recording this because my Sony will record but only from it's built in freeview. Can I just attach the coax from the lounge into the Sony and it would then record?

Or would I need to bring the sony from the other room and connect it up to the sky box somehow but can anyone shed some light on how and what connections are needed please?

HDCriticalFan

I have sky HD and was planning to record the new series of 24 which starts tomorrow (Sunday). I would like to keep the recordings and watch them in a one'r.

Are you serious :eek:

I really enjoy 24 and often watch two episodes at once ... but all 24 is going a bit far. You would have to stay up all day ! Would you aim to do it in "Real Time" - i.e. starting at 4pm for year 8 ?

Anyway, the short answer is no.

You can only record to an external device in SD. In order of decreasing quality the outputs to use are :

Component (if you have an old Thomson model)
s-video
Scart
coax

I can't stress enough how far below the others the coax "RF" option it is - I would say well below acceptable even for SD these days.

The best option would be to put a bigger HDD in your Sky box. I have a 1Tb drive and each hour of HD takes up less than a single percent. I reckon that I could store all 24 24s in about 20% of my available space.

I know that is seems a bit late to be telling you this - but it isn't.

If you start recording the 24s tomorrow, you can do a HDD upgrade in the next few weeks and use the excellent "Copy+" software to transfer all of your recordings to your new disk. Piece of cake.

Regards

logiciel

HDCriticalFan

But not at all, to this type of device, right?

If that was a link, it doesn't work for me.

I think that you may have been referring to the RDR-HXD995, so I've looked it up. Oh, I can now see that it is "just" a DVD recorder ... so recording in HD was never an option (as DVD is SD only).

All of which begs the question, if the OP can't record it in HD anyway, then just record it in SD ! I estimate that all 24 24s can be recorded in SD on an HD box for less than 25% of the total capacity of the box. Problem sorted !

On further reflection (and re-reading the first post) I think that the OP thought that he could transfer directly the HD digital recordings from the Sky+HD HDD to the "larger" HDD in his DVD recorder.

Sadly, that can't be done :(

There is no "direct digital input" on his Sony for a start. It will only record from video connections (like scart and s-video ... which are SD). Secondly there is no "direct digital output" from a Sky box (the HDMI output is a copy protected video signal, not the digital file as stored on the HDD).

So it's either watch them in SD, or not "do a one'r" or get a HDD upgrade for the Sky box (as I already described).

Regards

logiciel

If that was a link, it doesn't work for me.
I think that you may have been referring to the RDR-HXD995
It wasn't a link, it was an emphasis, to distinguish between the OP's device, and other types.
SO, that WAS what I was referring to, and thanks for explaining all the reasons against it.

the fd

Standard Member
I'm gonna go for the upgrade - what are peoples views on this hard drive. Some say it is suitable but I cannot find much info on it.

It should work with this caddie.

Thoughts?

logiciel

All HDDs are much the same as regards usability in a Sky receiver.
That's a dock, not a caddy - it would work but you only need it if you're going for more than one drive.

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
It wasn't a link, it was an emphasis, to distinguish between the OP's device, and other types.
SO, that WAS what I was referring to, and thanks for explaining all the reasons against it.

Using an underline for emphasis on the internet is a mean old trick :)

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
I'm gonna go for the upgrade - what are peoples views on this hard drive. Some say it is suitable but I cannot find much info on it.

It should work with this caddie.

Thoughts?

You only need a caddy if you can't plug the drive (or both drives if you want to copy the disk in a single operation) directly into your motherboard. It also makes life a little easier if you're using windowsXP as that does something funny with directly connected drives.

I'm using a Samsung F2, it's been ok although I've had a few minor glitches but nowhere near as bad as the Western Digital Greenpower drive I tried. I'm not 100% sure if the cause is heat related though. From what I've read, people using an F3 have had no problems at all so might be worth going for one of those to be on the safe side.

Doing a one'r sounds crazy by the way.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom