Getting started with Quest 2 (need advice)

Geek45

Novice Member
I am new to VR gaming and computers when it comes to PC’s. I still have a 13 year old iMac.

I just bought an Oculus Quest 2. I would like to know SPECIFICALLY exactly what I need PC wise and what other accessories I would need to experience the complete VR experience.

I’m not looking for a ‘bare bones’ PC system to play. I don’t mind spending more for a computer that will run games really well.

Again, what accessories and or downloads I will need. Will I need to sign up for SteamVR?

Please be very specific in any advice or guide me to any articles that can really explain in detail what is needed.

Thank you so much in advance for any help you can give.

scotthillier

I'd say aim for a 3060 Graphics card minimum, 3070, 3080, 3090 will be better (ti ranges better again)

32 gig ram.
SSD drive for the main pc, and then either a USB 3.2 external drive for your games, or a larger internal ssd which is big enough for games and operating system. external is cheaper.

CPU around a Ryzen 5800x upward or i7-10700k upward to give yourself some longevity

Now - whether you will be able to actually get that right now is a different matter due to shortages.

Oh, and a Wifi6 Router.

You might want to wait for a while because new GPUs are going to be released by Nvidia soon, including the 3070Ti, and they're not going to be of much use to cryptocurrency miners because they're going to have half the hashrate when mining.

We'll hear more details next month some time.

And depending on your router you might not need a WiFi 6 router, if it has 5GHz capability you'll be fine. My Virgin Media 3.0 Hub gives me 866Mbps with Virtual Desktop and Air-Link without a problem. Sure, a WiFi 6 router will be BETTER, but my Virgin Media Hub does the job fine.

So I'd say wait up to a couple of weeks and see what the GPU situation is like. You'll probably be able to pick up a 1070Ti or 1080Ti soon, or at least be able to buy a pre-built machine with one at a reasonable price.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom