• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Getting sound and video from computer to LG tv

Blues74

Standard Member
To get video from my laptop to my tv (LG 32" 1080p if any of that is relevant) I use a DVI or RGB (same thing?) cord. That works fine and I can get video to my tv simply by turning the tv input to the "RGB-PC" input.
The problem I'm having is getting sound at the same time. I have a cord that I plug into my laptop (the headphone jack) and then plug it into the AV1 slots on my tv. I can get sound but only if I turn the input to AV1.

How can I get video and sound on my tv at the same time?

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
If you are connected to the VGA input then there should be a socket associated with it, normally a 3.5mm stereo jack as found on the output of your laptop. You can not just connect to any audio input that takes your fancy. It should be in your TV instructions.

Blues74

Standard Member
If you are connected to the VGA input then there should be a socket associated with it, normally a 3.5mm stereo jack as found on the output of your laptop. You can not just connect to any audio input that takes your fancy. It should be in your TV instructions.

So a splitter cord will not work, correct?

Thanks for the reply.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
So a splitter cord will not work, correct?

Thanks for the reply.

Splitter cord? what is one of them?

Normally you would use a 3.5mm stereo jack to 3.5mm stereo jack. 3.5mm Jack Cables 1 - Best UK Prices at www.tvcables.co.uk
Your TV RGB in video connection should have a audio input associated with it.

Exactly WHAT model LG TV do you have. Can you confirm that the connection you have used for video is a 15pin plug inserted into the TV PC input.

Blues74

Standard Member
Splitter cord? what is one of them?

Normally you would use a 3.5mm stereo jack to 3.5mm stereo jack. 3.5mm Jack Cables 1 - Best UK Prices at www.tvcables.co.uk
Your TV RGB in video connection should have a audio input associated with it.

Exactly WHAT model LG TV do you have. Can you confirm that the connection you have used for video is a 15pin plug inserted into the TV PC input.

Model Number is 32LH30-UA
LG - 32" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV - 32LH30-UA

It does have a slot for audio on that channel underneath the rgb plugin and I'm assuming it is what you said.

As for the splitter cord, I wasn't sure what a cord like this was called:
http://www.ust.hk/itsc/classroom/notebook/photo/cable_audio_pc.jpg

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
It states you have.
Include 1 A/V (side), 3 HDMI (1 side, 2 rear), 1 RF (rear), 1 component video (rear), 1 HD component video (rear), 1 PC (rear) and 1 PC audio (rear).
As you may now notice it does have a PC Audio in.
Your cable "Splitter" is a 3.5mm to stereo phono cable.
As I stated before the PC Audio in is most likely a 3.5mm socket and therefore you will require a 3.5mm to 3.5 mm stereo cable.

Blues74

Standard Member
It states you have.
Include 1 A/V (side), 3 HDMI (1 side, 2 rear), 1 RF (rear), 1 component video (rear), 1 HD component video (rear), 1 PC (rear) and 1 PC audio (rear).
As you may now notice it does have a PC Audio in.
Your cable "Splitter" is a 3.5mm to stereo phono cable.
As I stated before the PC Audio in is most likely a 3.5mm socket and therefore you will require a 3.5mm to 3.5 mm stereo cable.
Alright, thanks for all the help. Everything is good to go now.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom