Getting someone else to install Sky dish?

rossyl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

We're hopefully to move house and take Sky with us.

House is a two storey house in London.

When had Sky installed at our current house we had an utter disaster. No matter how many times I asked for the "Special Heights" team, whenever the Sky Installer arrived they said they couldn't do it as what I needed was the Special Heights team.

Sky installation is simply awful!

I want to dish installed somewhere inconspicuous and neatly. Frankly, I don't trust Sky to do this.

Can I get someone else to install the dish, do all the wiring and then get the Sky installer to just press some "button"

Just wondered what the options are.

Thanks

Yep, any independent installer will be able to fit what you need, how you need it.

Yep, any independent installer will be able to fit what you need, how you need it.
Thanks for responding John

What about Sky "approving" the installation after someone else has done it?

I don't want to pay Sky to install in the wrong place, then have to pay someone else to move it.

Can an independent do everything start to finish, even though I'm moving home?

Last edited:
Be careful because if your getting sky Q, the rules we keep getting told is if we can't get to the dish to service it we can't install on it. I've personally installed on many independently fitted dishes but it does depend on the installer you get on the day.

Thanks. Luckily, not SkyQ.

Hmm, so completely at the mercy of whomever turns up. Makes me a little worried.

i have just googled independent installers , all their pages say the install SkyQ .
The sky installer didn't do any of the cabling in my house, all pre-installed by the builders.

you may fall fowl of inconspicuous . it does, after all, have to go up on a wall and have sight of the satellite its pointing at

at the end of the day , if sky want your money, they will find a solution

It really annoys me that they have to drill a hole into the wall just to secure a step ladder! :eek: :mad: . Elf n safety gone mad............

Until the ladder slips and causes injury of course

If it isn't Sky Q then LNB is the same as for Freesat and set up in the same way.
They both use the same satellite position.

Until the ladder slips and causes injury of course

Oh come on, it's a stepladder, not the north face of Everest.

Oh come on, it's a stepladder, not the north face of Everest.
Guess you've never had a ladder fall over with you on it?
It was a very painful experience. I was in hospital for 3 months with a spinal injury and that was from only 4 feet up.

Guess you've never had a ladder fall over with you on it?
It was a very painful experience. I was in hospital for 3 months with a spinal injury and that was from only 4 feet up.

No, I haven't. As someone who cannot tolerate heights, even I am happy to use a stepladder. When I had Q installed a couple of years ago, I was appalled at the bloody great hole left in my freshly painted and rendered wall - all to install a dish circa 8ft off the ground.

This happened to me when I got Sky Q installed in my Flat after having Virgin Cable for many years, I wanted it on the roof near the Chimney where another flats dish lived. Did the sign up with sky, package done, install arranged, warned them about the height since flats were two floors then roof. Sky said no worries as "special heights" team would be involved, installer turned up took one look and said too high for their ladders and couldn't secure ladders. I was fine with the Installer themselves because I wouldn't want anyone endangered, but annoyed that I had been very clear on what was required, so mad at Sky overall for accepting my order. This was increased when within an hour I received a cancellation e-mail notification, no apologies, etc. When I contacted them back I asked options to which they could offer none. I then rang a local satellite installer, same information, he came took a look, said he'd give it a go, guess he was his own boss and took the H&S issue at his own risk. Anyways he installed a dish and bid me farewell to the cost of 140 quid from memory. When I rang back sky I said I had a dish already, unfortunately the package was a little worst but signed up again. When the Engineer turned up who was a wise and wizened man, he gave the same spiel as above in that new rules said they shouldn't install to any dish they couldn't service themselves. However he took kindly to my story to date and completed the installation, that was nearly 4 years ago and all's well, however if they change things again and that needs a new LNB then I could be.

Cheers
Muzza

Sky gone Elf n safety mad. If a "Special Heights" team can't cope with a two storey building, then they are a waste of space. As the independent guy proved, the installation was perfectly possible without causing death or injury!

Unless the house is already flagged for heights then a customer can not request this team and a normal engineer will always be sent to assess and rebook if required. A normal engineer can access a two storey roof.

Apologies to resurrect a slightly old topic, but thought I'd do this rather than creating a new one.

Had Sky come today and, as expected, there was no real solution to my installation other than fixing the dish to the front of the house and running a cable through to my living room at the back. I want a nice wireless setup so Sky Q box to go in utility cupboard and then use CAT6 over HDMI extender to get Sky Q to my TV.

I'm happy to pay an independent installer and already spoke to someone a few weeks ago. However, I live in a ground floor flat of a Victorian terraced house and my neighbour has already indicated they're not happy with putting the dish on the chimney.

What are people's views on putting cables over the roof? I don't really care about aesthetics of having a dish on the front, but is it ok to thrown cables over the roof as long as they're pinned down such that they won't blow around in the wind etc?

You might not care about the aesthetics, but your neighbour upstairs may well.

You might not care about the aesthetics, but your neighbour upstairs may well.

They were ok with a dish going on the front of the house, as long as it was on 'my half' but had had a bad experience a number of years ago where an aerial was installed on the roof and the installer caused some damage which resulted in a leak.

I think cables over the roof is a bad idea from what I have read unless the cable is pinned onto pretty much every tile. If this is the case, will have to try and persuade them to give me permission to install on the chimney. I will of course pay for any damage/future issues, but hopefully this wouldn't be needed.

It probably is a bad idea, but plenty of people do it.

Hi

We're hopefully to move house and take Sky with us.

House is a two storey house in London.

When had Sky installed at our current house we had an utter disaster. No matter how many times I asked for the "Special Heights" team, whenever the Sky Installer arrived they said they couldn't do it as what I needed was the Special Heights team.

Sky installation is simply awful!

I want to dish installed somewhere inconspicuous and neatly. Frankly, I don't trust Sky to do this.

Can I get someone else to install the dish, do all the wiring and then get the Sky installer to just press some "button"

Just wondered what the options are.

Thanks
There is no button for a sky installer to press. If it worked in your old place it will continue to work in your new place. Just tell them you have moved and got it installed, tell them your new address for billing and maybe changing your region if you have moved a long way.

I think cables over the roof is a bad idea from what I have read unless the cable is pinned onto pretty much every tile. If this is the case, will have to try and persuade them to give me permission to install on the chimney. I will of course pay for any damage/future issues, but hopefully this wouldn't be needed.
Simply anecdotal, but we had the cable simply sling over roof on previous property. No issues in the 15 years we were there. Just basic pinning on the external walls and none on the roof tiles.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom