Getting someone else to install Sky dish?

rossyl

Hi

We're hopefully to move house and take Sky with us.

House is a two storey house in London.

When had Sky installed at our current house we had an utter disaster. No matter how many times I asked for the "Special Heights" team, whenever the Sky Installer arrived they said they couldn't do it as what I needed was the Special Heights team.

Sky installation is simply awful!

I want to dish installed somewhere inconspicuous and neatly. Frankly, I don't trust Sky to do this.

Can I get someone else to install the dish, do all the wiring and then get the Sky installer to just press some "button"

Just wondered what the options are.

Thanks

John

Yep, any independent installer will be able to fit what you need, how you need it.

rossyl

Yep, any independent installer will be able to fit what you need, how you need it.
Thanks for responding John

What about Sky "approving" the installation after someone else has done it?

I don't want to pay Sky to install in the wrong place, then have to pay someone else to move it.

Can an independent do everything start to finish, even though I'm moving home?

Last edited:

smiler30

Be careful because if your getting sky Q, the rules we keep getting told is if we can't get to the dish to service it we can't install on it. I've personally installed on many independently fitted dishes but it does depend on the installer you get on the day.

rossyl

Thanks. Luckily, not SkyQ.

Hmm, so completely at the mercy of whomever turns up. Makes me a little worried.

John

i have just googled independent installers , all their pages say the install SkyQ .
The sky installer didn't do any of the cabling in my house, all pre-installed by the builders.

you may fall fowl of inconspicuous . it does, after all, have to go up on a wall and have sight of the satellite its pointing at

at the end of the day , if sky want your money, they will find a solution

CaptainJames

It really annoys me that they have to drill a hole into the wall just to secure a step ladder! :eek: :mad: . Elf n safety gone mad............

John

Until the ladder slips and causes injury of course

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
If it isn't Sky Q then LNB is the same as for Freesat and set up in the same way.
They both use the same satellite position.

CaptainJames

Until the ladder slips and causes injury of course

Oh come on, it's a stepladder, not the north face of Everest.

simon194

Oh come on, it's a stepladder, not the north face of Everest.
Guess you've never had a ladder fall over with you on it?
It was a very painful experience. I was in hospital for 3 months with a spinal injury and that was from only 4 feet up.

CaptainJames

Guess you've never had a ladder fall over with you on it?
It was a very painful experience. I was in hospital for 3 months with a spinal injury and that was from only 4 feet up.

No, I haven't. As someone who cannot tolerate heights, even I am happy to use a stepladder. When I had Q installed a couple of years ago, I was appalled at the bloody great hole left in my freshly painted and rendered wall - all to install a dish circa 8ft off the ground.

muzza1uk

Novice Member
This happened to me when I got Sky Q installed in my Flat after having Virgin Cable for many years, I wanted it on the roof near the Chimney where another flats dish lived. Did the sign up with sky, package done, install arranged, warned them about the height since flats were two floors then roof. Sky said no worries as "special heights" team would be involved, installer turned up took one look and said too high for their ladders and couldn't secure ladders. I was fine with the Installer themselves because I wouldn't want anyone endangered, but annoyed that I had been very clear on what was required, so mad at Sky overall for accepting my order. This was increased when within an hour I received a cancellation e-mail notification, no apologies, etc. When I contacted them back I asked options to which they could offer none. I then rang a local satellite installer, same information, he came took a look, said he'd give it a go, guess he was his own boss and took the H&S issue at his own risk. Anyways he installed a dish and bid me farewell to the cost of 140 quid from memory. When I rang back sky I said I had a dish already, unfortunately the package was a little worst but signed up again. When the Engineer turned up who was a wise and wizened man, he gave the same spiel as above in that new rules said they shouldn't install to any dish they couldn't service themselves. However he took kindly to my story to date and completed the installation, that was nearly 4 years ago and all's well, however if they change things again and that needs a new LNB then I could be.

Cheers
Muzza

CaptainJames

Sky gone Elf n safety mad. If a "Special Heights" team can't cope with a two storey building, then they are a waste of space. As the independent guy proved, the installation was perfectly possible without causing death or injury!

smiler30

Unless the house is already flagged for heights then a customer can not request this team and a normal engineer will always be sent to assess and rebook if required. A normal engineer can access a two storey roof.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom