1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting sky+ what can I do with my existing one?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by leedebs, Jun 8, 2005.

1. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    As thread title really?

I have taken up the Sky+ £49 refurb offer and haviing it installed next Wed.
    I take it I do get a new remote for the Sky+ box?
    Also they said that I just keep the existing card & pop it into the Sky+ box.
    Now if I put the old pace box in the other room & speak to the nice Sky installer :D to ask him nicely to run another cable into that room what can I watch on this box? Anything? Can I for example have the card in the Sky+ box and watch Sky Sports on that box and watch say BBC1 on the old box in digital quality or do I take the card outta the Sky+ box while on Sky sports and move the card into the old Pace box to watch stuff on there, or do I need another card? What ya reckon guys?
    :lease:
    SWMBO wasn't prepared to pay ANOTHER £10 a month for multiroom! :(

2. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    i think you need another card to watch the other box. heres how you tell, pull your card out turn your box on, and see what you can do

3. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,878
    You can't swap the card between boxes as it is "Paired" to a specific box in your case to the new Sky+.
    You can buy another card (£20 I think) which will give you BBC1/2, ITV. CH4/5 and all the other "Free to air" channels.

4. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without a card you can watch the FTA channels, ie all the BBC's, but not ITV,CH4 etc.
    If you take the card out of the Sky+ and put it in the old box you will be able to view all except the premium channels like sports and movies.

5. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I hope your right, that would be just what I need.
    I just tried taking the card out of my standard sky box and when I changed to aniother channel it asked for my viewing card, if I left it on the channel selected then I guess I could for example:
    Have Sky+ box set with say Sky sports 1 and then take the card out, put it into the old sky standard box and select say Discovery Home and leisure and watch that in the other room? Does that sound feasible?
    I know they say they marrie the card to the box but the lady on the phone did say I could still use my existing box as a back up so presumably the card should still work in there?
    If not do I just buy a FTA card for £20 but what channels do I get on that?

6. Jack's Dad

Jack's Dad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you should be able to watch the freeview channels on the old box without a sky card.

BTW what's this £49 deal all about? I'm a lapsed sky customer and I've been told that I must subscribe to the multiroom package and pay the £10 a month in order to qualify for the £49 installation offer.

7. branny

branny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Well I get mine next week and this is what I intend to do with my current one given that they go for approx 40-60 quid.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=96970&item=5778879888&rd=1

In my book that will either give me + for free or at a profit because the box won't be there for them to take away!!!

That would of course give you ample cash to by a FTA box without worrying about whether it will work.

Cheers
    Branny

8. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Yep just sold my old Panasonic box for 59.50 incl the p&p after my Sky+ upgrade so def worth sticking it on there :smashin:

9. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    They don't take the old box away, they say to keep it as a back up, hence my initial questions.
    Sure £20 for a FTA card is cheapest option, but I was just wondering if by swopping cards whether I could view "other" channels on the old box.
    Spoke to Sky yesterday and they say the existing card will be married to the Sky+ box by the engineer and if for whatever reason in the future there is a problem with the Sky+ box and I need to use the existng card with the OLD box then you have to ring Sky.............
    Might see what the engineer has to say when he arrives.