Getting Sky TV in my static caravan.

ron swanson

Established Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I'm getting a static caravan installed at home and wanted to get sky up and running in there.

I called sky and because it isn't attached to the house they won't treat it as a multiroom (fair enough worth a go!)

I was thinking about getting it installed in another room and then using a HDMI wireless video sender kit to send the video to the caravan as and when needed. Looking at the blurb on the box of the HDMI video senders I would be able to control the sky box via the caravan as the video kit takes care of the IR.

Can anyone think of a better way of getting sky in the caravan that doesn't involve a second subscription and are these video sender kits any good?

Sky told me I would have to take out a second subscription to get it in the caravan but I would rather not.

Appriciate any advice.

Thanks.

Just move it into the caravan after they have installed it in the house... :D

What would I need to do that? I don't see sky leaving excess cables etc. Are wireless video kit's not very good?

Avoid wireless HDMi at all costs especially between rooms or caravan and house.

All you need is to either extend the 1 (or 2) Coax cables that go into the 2nd Sky box to the caravan or run new cables from the dish to the caravan.

When they install just get them to locate the 2nd sky box in the room cloest to the Caravan location.

Yep, extend or run new cables to the dish. Or if more convenient you could install another dish onto the caravan.

When I spoke to them they said a second dish and subscription was the only option multiroom has to be in the house so to speak not just the premesis, sorry for sounding a bit dense but are the coax cables the ones that run from the dish to the back of the box. I think it's one for each signal or somthing so you can watch one channel and record another.

Sorry to sound daft again but can you buy coax extensions, it would be far less trouble for me if I could just extend the cable that sky put in rather than fit a whole new one.

Would the fact the box will not plugged into a phoneline be a problem?

Also would the coax cables be suitable to be buried? The idea currently is to have all the power cables etc to the caravan underground.

Are wireless video senders in general not a good idea for what I'm intending then?

Thanks again for the input I really appriciate your time.

Yes the coax cables are the ones from the dish to the sky box.

A standard multiroom box doesnt have the Sky+ features so would only need one coax unless you upgrade multi room to the Sky+ box then it would be 2.

You would buy a roll of WF100 coax cable and then some ends to join them to either the dish or the end of the cable at the skybox.

Sky no longer require phoneline connection though you can connect it to inetnet, do you have a network cable running to the Caravan as well ?

Yes they can be buried. I have just done something similar to get freesat to an adjoining barn conversion from my Satellite dish. I had 4 cables as I used to have multiroom

None HD video senders can be OK but certainly not HD ones

A second dish at the van sounds better to me.

I was intending to use one of my current sky+ boxes I have 2 currently. So would need the 2 cables running. I'm hoping the caravan will be close enough to the house to use wifi otherwise I'll work somthing out to get a connection. I couldn't not have internet in it!

What are the ends I will need to buy for the coax cable?

Providing all goes well it's basically going to be a man cave and I want all the mod cons to go in it! I'm not quite there yet but I'm trying to get an idea of what I will need to do to get it all up and running ASAP.

Thanks again for your time

Simple enough to run a cat 6 cable whilst running other cables and not relying on wifi

My advice would be Single Cat6 from router t caravan, then a Wireless Access point and a Gigabit Switch

F Type connector ends and couplers

My advice would be Single Cat6 from router t caravan, then a Wireless Access point and a Gigabit Switch

F Type connector ends and couplers

Thanks for that, I was wondering about installing an extender for the wifi but the access point sounds better. I'm guessing the gigabit switch would be to run everything via cable from the wireless access point.

Plug the switch into the access point and then plug everything into the switch via ethernet? I've utilised wireless extenders before so I'm hoping the setup wouldn't be too different

Would the lenght of the Ethernet cable affect the performance of everything if it was too long?

I'm thinking of netgear equipment for this or can you reccomend a better brand?

Thanks again for your time.

My advice would be Router (house) - Cat6 Ethernet Cable - Gigabit Switch (Caravan) - Access Point

You can then connect via either cable or wifi in the caravan. (wired is always better than wireless)

As long as the cable isnt over 100m there is no loss in speed

We use TP link but they are all much of a muchness

My advice would be Router (house) - Cat6 Ethernet Cable - Gigabit Switch (Caravan) - Access Point

You can then connect via either cable or wifi in the caravan. (wired is always better than wireless)

As long as the cable isnt over 100m there is no loss in speed

We use TP link but they are all much of a muchness

Thanks, I think I'm getting there.

What's the gigabit switch for though does the access point not work without one? I thought it would plug straight into the cat6 cable connected to the router. Or would it be a wise investment for flexibility for the future.

Just trying to work it all out in my head!!

Sorry for ressurecting an old thread.

I'm now wondering about just using sky go in there instead. Has anyone used the service at all and can give me any pro's and cons to using it? I can get the app for it on my Playstation 4

Can you record live tv with it at all or is it streaming only?

Sky Go is SD only so depends on size of TV whether it is acceptable. You can only record/download with Sky Go Extra but it is either an extra £5 per month or free with multiscreen/multiroom.

I use it on a laptop and find it lags a short while behind broadcast TV so really not good for in game betting etc.

Sky Go is SD only so depends on size of TV whether it is acceptable. You can only record/download with Sky Go Extra but it is either an extra £5 per month or free with multiscreen/multiroom.

I use it on a laptop and find it lags a short while behind broadcast TV so really not good for in game betting etc.

Thanks for that. I think I can rule that out straight away then! I have quite a big TV and SD sport look horrible on it.

I wonder about getting a dish installed on the caravan and then taking one of the viewing cards out of a multiroom box and putting it in the box in the caravan. The caravan will be on the same phone and internet connection anyway.

Does anyone know if that would work at all?

Thanks for that. I think I can rule that out straight away then! I have quite a big TV and SD sport look horrible on it.

I wonder about getting a dish installed on the caravan and then taking one of the viewing cards out of a multiroom box and putting it in the box in the caravan. The caravan will be on the same phone and internet connection anyway.

Does anyone know if that would work at all?
No - you will only be able to view non premium subscription channels ( i.e. not Movies, Sport or HD) and only record non encrypted channels - the card must be paired to the box to have full access.

Posts 2 and 5.

No - you will only be able to view non premium subscription channels ( i.e. not Movies, Sport or HD) and only record non encrypted channels - the card must be paired to the box to have full access.

What about if I swapped boxes over?

How do you pair a card to the box, is that somthing that can be done by the customer or is it only somthing the sky enginneer can do?

Yes just swap boxes. We just take our box with us when we down to my mums static caravan.

Yes just swap boxes. We just take our box with us when we down to my mums static caravan.

Thanks for that, while I didn't mind doing a bit of DIY and moving the cables etc myself having thought about it getting a dish installed in the caravan might actually be a more tidy and elegant solution. It would depend upon the final position of the caravan though.

I'm guessing I just unplug the coax cables and move the box to the new location and plug the box into the coax cables at the new location? As I said the caravan will be on the same phone/broadband connection so it would show up as at the address.

If I did decide to do that what would be the cheapest way of getting an installation. Is it possible to pay for an istallation and a cheap box without a subscription?

I still find it annoying that Sky want you to pay for a new account etc for a building on the premesis that isn't going anywhere!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom