Getting SKY+ or SKY to work in other rooms

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by saracen, Jul 11, 2004.

1. saracen

saracen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    After years of saying I'd never do it I've finally taken the plunge and this Wednesday I'm getting SKY+ multiroom installed (SKY+ box and an additional SKY box). I've decided to put the SKY+ box upstairs in my dedicated cinema room and the additional box in the bedroom, also upstairs.

What is the best way of connecting the SKY+ box to a TV downstairs? Or would I be better off connecting the normal SKY box to that TV downstairs. Never having had SKY I'm not 100% sure about what connections are on either box. I've heard about wireless video senders. Does anyone have any experience of these and if so are they any good?

Ideally I'd like to be able to control the SKY+ downstairs and then watch what has been recorded upstairs.

Thanks for any help.

2. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't bother with the additional box as most of your viewing will be from the recorded SKY+ box.

Put the sky+ box in the cinema room as some of the movie channels broadcast in DD5.1 so you want to be able to hook that up.

Sky and Sky+ boxes have a second RF out at the back. This 2nd RF carries 9v. You buy a "Sky Eye" which is an infra-red sensor and connect it to your other TV via a great long length of coax. The sky eye allows you to control the box from your other TV, including controlling all the Sky+ features.

Argos sell a gadget for about £30 that lets you run two TV's ( 2 Sky Eyes ) from the one 2nd RF out so you can connect the bedroom TV and the lounge TV to the one Sky+ box, and be able to control them both.

That' how mine is connected.

I am going to run an extra cable from the Sky+ video out to one of my other TV's as this will give a better picture than the co-ax. I will still leave the co-ax connected aswell, then I can still control the box via the Sky eye.

As I say, once you get to grips with Sky+, you won't be watching very much direct from Sky - you will be watching thisngs you have recorded so the second box will be redundant as you can't watch the recorded things on it.

Also, I seem to remember that only the Sky+ boxes can output the DD5.1 signal so that box would need to be in your cinema room.

3. saracen

saracen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for the reply Techno.

I’ve ordered the two boxes as it gives me the greatest flexibility in terms of number of channels that can be viewed at the same time. Plus the deal that SKY is currently offering was very good (£149 for SKY+, free installation, free second box and free SKY Sports for 6 months). I believe that with the SKY eye each TV has to be watching the same channel (please correct me if I’m wrong).

I did intend to put the SKY+ box in the cinema room with the extra box in the bedroom so that news etc can be watched in the morning. In addition I don’t really like the idea of having an extremely long cable not only running through the house but also between floors and am after something more elegant (hence the request for information on the video sender).

Again any help is appreciated.

4. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +661
    Hi

I had the same set up installed last tuesday and i have to say what you are asking for cant be done.

The best option will be with the sky eye imo

When you have this installed you will see what i mean ...your dish will have 3 coax's comming out of it 2 for the sky+ box and 1 for the extra digibox.

if you dont like coax's be careful where they put the dish...if you have it on a wall and both rooms you view in are on it will be fine but where ever the dish sits and its usually on the second story you will need a coax run from the dish to the box upstairs and again from the dish to the box downstairs be this internally or externally around the side of the house.

The coaxs only come in BLACK. I was thinking there would be a junction box of somekind on the inside, the otherside of the wall to the dish and we could run white coax at least thru the house but now i have a double black coax run from the second floor to first floor lounge around the wall to the otherside of the house. :eek:

as the letter from sky says start thinking about cable runs now before the install bearing in mind the dish needs to be on a south /south east caning wall.

oh btw you need a phone point in each room as well

hope this helps

Turb007

5. saracen

saracen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for posting the replys guys. The SKY system was installed on Wednesday (thanks for the tips about the cables). Had a word with the engineer when he arrived and he carried out a very clean installation. Dish is in a very discreet position and cables are run along the guttering and can't really be seen.

But then my problems started. SKY had not sent the viewing cards so SKY+ would not work and only had limited channels available to view. Anyway a few phone calls to what is probably the most :censored: call centre ever and I've got everything sorted.

I must say that SKY+ is fantastic :clap: Recording is a doddle and the quality!!!! :cool: Even managed to record and playback films recorded in Dolby Digital.

The last thing I needed to do was buy a video sender (opted for the Philips VL1200 from the Argos sale) and connected it up in about 3 mins. Quality is very good and I can now watch and control my SKY+ box downstairs. With no cables. :D

Just need to order an extra SKY+ remote so i can leave one upstairs and one downstairs. Any ideas where I can get a cheap one from?

6. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Saracen,

Thanks for reporting back on how you got on. Which Philips did you get, Argos have two (a 1 device one and a four device one)? I wondered how you found the audio quality, since that's all I'll be using mine for. Is it stable/reliable? What range do you have it running between? Do you have a wireless network, does it work ok with it?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm looking for one of these for my birthday and my relatives are gonna lynch me if I don't tell 'em which one soon. :)

Cheers,

7. saracen

saracen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Andy thanks for the message and the PM, sorry but I've only just seen them.

I bought the Philips one device from Argos (534/1135) although technically speaking you can connect two devices to it at any one time. In reality this isn’t very good as have to go back to the transmitter and select which device you want it operate which IMO is kind of daft!! However, I just have my SKY connected and don’t really want to connect anything else.

The audio quality is very good but the device is just connected to a bog standard stereo TV with no additional speakers. The picture quality is fantastic and I cannot fault it. It’s so good you’d think that the SKY box was connected to the TV. I did have my doubts at first thinking audio and video would be patchy but having tried it out I can thoroughly recommend it.

I’d estimate the distance between the two as about 45 feet as the crow flies but they are on different floors in the house. The image is very stable and I’ve not had any problems at all. You’d really think the SKY box was connected to the TV.

I don’t have a wireless network (that will come next year when our village finally gets broadband!) but I understand that it can affect it.

I’d get them to get you one (plus if you get it from Argos and you are not happy with it you can take it back) under their 16 day guarantee.

Marks out 10, I’d give it 9 and a half. It would get 10 if you could switch between devices remotely.

Oh if you want more info. you can download the instruction manual from the Philips Website.

Philips Sender Page

Hope this helps.

8. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Thats brilliant, Saracen, just what I needed to know. Thanks for taking the time to reply. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

9. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,486
    I don't have a caning wall, south-east facing or otherwise - is this someting new from SKY? ;)