Getting Sky+ installed Sunday - things I need to know?

H

hutchingsp

Took the plunge.. no doubt a new box with a 300gb HD will be launched the day after mine is installed, but such is life :)

So.. the engineer is coming on Sunday to do a Sky+ install and a Digibox relocation. Other than having the kettle on and generally buttering the chap up, is there anything I should need to know to check that he's doing a decent job?

At present the signal strength/quality bars on my Digibox are at around 60% which, whilst the picture seem fine, has never struck me as being ideal?

I've read about "shotgun" cables.. not sure if there will be a choice but is there any _noticable_ difference between this and 2 runs of regular cable?

Anything else I need to know.. just trying to plan ahead..

regards,
Paul

Make sure that you have a phonesocket in close proximity to both boxes (especially with the relocated box if having a mirror sub)

We do.. 20 feet or so away - PITA really as it's yet another wire for something that I don't think will ever be used.. but apparently they do check these things.

I didn't realise you had to have the 2nd box plugged into the phone as well. Is this definate ?

If you have a mirror sub, then you need them both connected to the phone line , and they do check .I've had a letter stating that the phone lines were not plugged in , they were ,but as I'm ex directory had to enter 141 ( i think) in the prefix option in the installer menu.

Can they be plugged into different phone numbers ? The one I will be moving to another room could plug into a BT line that I have their, whilst the SKY+ one would plug into my normal NTL line.

johng

no they cant be plugged into different phone lines , unless you want to be billed for 2 subs.

I wouldn't have thought so.The idea of connecting them both to the same phone line is to stop you from having a mirror sub at a different address ,could always ask Sky for the definintive answer .(if you don't get the right one , keep calling back .its not often you get the same answer from different people at Sky CS :D )

So what's the score with these new amstrad boxes? anything radically different or just a different manufacturer?

Paul

thought i read a post somewhere saying that amstrad were not making a box , that it was soley a pace product ( for the moment atleast) if not here then on digtal spy

oops , just saw that on another thread :blush: :clown:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom