Getting Sky+HD Installed Tomorrow...

echoUK

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Right, I'm getting my Sky+HD installed tomorrow and I got my email after completing my order through the website saying that I would receive the sales confirmation letters in the post in the next few days (completed the order on Tuesday). Anyway, to my point - When you upgrade to Sky+HD do they send you a new viewing card in the post ready for when the man comes to install? I thought I read the other day that they would send a new HD viewing card or something, but I don't know if it was just me imagining it.

I am an existing Sky customer, so I have my normal viewing card, but wasn't sure if you get a new one when you upgrade to Sky+HD? If so, then I doubt I will get mine before my HD is actually installed because my Postman doesn't usually come until 2:30 to 3:00 in the afternoon.

Would this be a problem if you need the new viewing card (that's even if you get one when you upgrade?).

Naa mate you use your existing card! What box are they bringing you? i take it you've read the various posts re what boxes to stay clear of if you can?

You don't get a new viewing card if you are only replacing one box with another. You only get a new card if you are a new customer, or you are keeping your existing box as a multiroom box in another room.

Naa mate you use your existing card! What box are they bringing you?

How would he know what box he's going to get, seeing as his installation isn't until tomorrow?

Ooooh, ok thanks you two. I just wasn't sure if you needed a new card for some reason with it being HD. I was getting a bit worried because I had received it and it's getting installed tomorrow, lol.

I'm not sure which box I'm getting either. I've had a little swift through the other thread about which boxes are good and which aren't as good, etc. I'm going to have another look through that thread again now actually.

Thanks for replying though. :smashin:

How would he know what box he's going to get, seeing as his installation isn't until tomorrow?

I was getting at, ask the engineer what he's got in the van when he confrims his visit today or in the morning......

I've just had it installed about an hour ago and I have a Samsung box.

One quick question though - the guy said that it could take up to four hours for the HD channels to be activated (I have some HD channels already like Sky1HD, DiscoveryHD and a couple of others). Anyway, when I try and use the Sky+ features on normal Sky channels, I get an error message saying 'Recording Interrupted'. It seems to work ok on the normal TV channels such as BBC1, BBC2, ITV, etc but not any other channels.

I had a quick look in my Sky+HD manual at the troubleshooting part and it says that the error could be caused by somebody interfering with my Sky or that I don't have the right subscription. I never had Sky+ before, just normal Sky, so will the Sky+ features become available when the HD pack/channels have been activated or is there something wrong with my box already?

I would ring sky and ask them to make sure its been properly paired with your sky card,im sure the guy who installed it has done this but i now of people who have phoned sky afterwards to find out the card or recording function wasnt up and running.The 4 hours thing is just the max they tell you,most peoples are up and running within 5 minutes.Did the guy not try and record something while he was there?

I've just had it installed about an hour ago and I have a Samsung box.

One quick question though - the guy said that it could take up to four hours for the HD channels to be activated (I have some HD channels already like Sky1HD, DiscoveryHD and a couple of others). Anyway, when I try and use the Sky+ features on normal Sky channels, I get an error message saying 'Recording Interrupted'. It seems to work ok on the normal TV channels such as BBC1, BBC2, ITV, etc but not any other channels.

I had a quick look in my Sky+HD manual at the troubleshooting part and it says that the error could be caused by somebody interfering with my Sky or that I don't have the right subscription. I never had Sky+ before, just normal Sky, so will the Sky+ features become available when the HD pack/channels have been activated or is there something wrong with my box already?

I would ring sky and ask them to make sure its been properly paired with your sky card,im sure the guy who installed it has done this but i now of people who have phoned sky afterwards to find out the card or recording function wasnt up and running.The 4 hours thing is just the max they tell you,most peoples are up and running within 5 minutes.Did the guy not try and record something while he was there?

Nah he just put a new dish up and new cable in and then hooked the box up, put my viewing card in from the old Sky box and then did something with the settings and then said that was it and that it could take up to four hours and if not to phone Sky.

He asked me if I knew how to use Sky+ which I said I did because I've used my brothers when I've been at his.

If it hasn't been paired properly, are they able to do it over the phone or will I have to wait again for another engineer to come out and what not?

They will do it there and then on the phone .:thumbsup:

Nah he just put a new dish up and new cable in and then hooked the box up, put my viewing card in from the old Sky box and then did something with the settings and then said that was it and that it could take up to four hours and if not to phone Sky.

He asked me if I knew how to use Sky+ which I said I did because I've used my brothers when I've been at his.

If it hasn't been paired properly, are they able to do it over the phone or will I have to wait again for another engineer to come out and what not?

They will do it there and then on the phone .:thumbsup:

Oh nice one, thanks mate. :thumbsup: I'll just finish off my lunch and then give them a bell me thinks.

Thanks again. :smashin:

As echoUK it wouldn't hurt to give Sky a ring and check your card has been paired. I had SKY+ so the recording facility was already there but it only took about 20mins for the HD channels to become active after the installer had rang them.

Happened to me when I got mine installed. He said he paired the card with box but he didn't. So I called Sky when I told them about the message I recieved when I try to record and they got my card paired up. Problem sorted.

quick question,getting hd in the next month or so,
i intend on having our old sky+ box put upstairs and
the hd box downstairs,in that case will i have to have a new
card issued,when i registered i stated that i wanted to upgrade our
old standard box that we currently have in the bedroom.
thanks.

The existing card goes in the new Digibox. They will post you a new card to go in the old Digibox. If you haven't received this card within a few days, write to them to explain the problem. Be sure to quote the order number and your existing contract number!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom