Getting Sky Go on dumb tv

rgsoton

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello
I am using a relative's sign in details for "Sky Go" so I can already access it on a laptop. Does anyone know how to get Sky Go on my (dumb) TV?
Thanks
Rob

Does your TV have hdmi inputs and laptop hdmi out ?
If so, connect them up, extend your desktop to the tv

Laptop only vga. TV HDMI. A friend suggested using a PS4? Yes I did briefly look into a VGA / HDMI converter but then I heard that Sky due to DRM doesn’t let you cast it to the TV this way…

Thanks for reply.

Technically you wouldn't be casting, but extending your desktop by way of multi monitor set up. I used to regularly do it from a netbook with vga to vga
If you have a console that you can load the go app to, then use that

Thanks. Yes as I used the word “cast” I knew it wasn’t right lol. You used to regularly do this with Sky Go do you mean? I’ll go looking for a vga / hdmi converter I think.

Don’t suppose you have any experience with these sorts of £5 vga / hdmi converters that can be for on eBay do you?

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Nope when I did it with skygo, it was vga vga.
Now I come to think about it, it was about a decade ago, so maybe even before skygo was a thing and it was just off the sky website
I have used converters, think it buy display port to hdmi which is basically the same signal, different plug. But no for sky.
Ig you have a console, go that way

Thanks. Yes as I used the word “cast” I knew it wasn’t right lol. You used to regularly do this with Sky Go do you mean? I’ll go looking for a vga / hdmi converter I think.

Don’t suppose you have any experience with these sorts of £5 vga / hdmi converters that can be for on eBay do you?

Those VGA/HDMI converters only work one way for sending video from an HDMI source to a VGA input so it won’t work for connecting your laptop to the TV. Your TV would also need an audio input to take the sound from your laptop’s headphone output too.
Sky Go is currently only available as an app on mobile devices and on XBox. A Sky Go Apple TV app is due later this year.
The HDCP copy protection Sky uses tends to make it difficult to use on anything other than an official app. HDMI from a laptop direct to a TV would be the only realistic way of doing it.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks for reply. It’s saved me a few quid buying the converter.

I know very little about Xbox. What’s the oldest version I can get do you reckon where I could put the sky go app on?

Thanks for reply. It’s saved me a few quid buying the converter.

I know very little about Xbox. What’s the oldest version I can get do you reckon where I could put the sky go app on?
Sky removed Sky Go access from the XBox 360 a couple of years ago so it's now only officially supported on the XBox Series X/S or XBox One. It's now called the 'TV from Sky' app rather than Sky Go:
Get TV from Sky - Microsoft Store en-GB

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom