Getting Sky dig

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by M0T, Apr 30, 2002.

1. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I unfortunately live in a conservation area where the intstallation of a sky mini-dish would be illegal. However I already have an existing satellite dish which I can set up to recieve Sky Digital without breaking the law. Bearing this in mind how do I get the Digital box and the subscription card and do I have to pay for the box or would it be free if I purchased a 12 Month subscription, and who do I contact?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Can't you replace the existing dish with a minidish?
    If you can't then you'll have to make sure the LNB is a universal type.

You could buy a brand new digibox yourself (£169 from SKY, cheaper elsewhere) or a second hand one from ebay, local ads and then just ring SKY to subscribe to one of their packages.
    The "free" digibox from SKY is only given when you sign the "interactive" agreement which means the box is installed by a SKY or authorised installer and has to be connected to a phone line for 12 months and I honestly don't know how that works when there is no dish installation required, you'll have to give SKY a ring a ask them.

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in a conservation area too. I have a dish and so do 4 of my neighbours. We all just stuck them up. No problems so far. Worst they can do is make you take it down.

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My previous house was in a conservation area (a fairly attractive row of 160+ year old cottages) and 3 out of the 4 of us had Sky dishes.

In fact, at one point I had a Sky Analogue dish on the side of the house and a Sky Digital Minidish on the back of it.

No one ever said anything about it.

Odd how regular ariels are considered OK though, some people have two TV and one radio masts and it looks FAR worse than an innocuous Sky dish (which often 'blends' in against the house anyway).

5. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    What kind of weird street do you live in ?

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A fairly busy, terraced street in an Old part of a new town where my Sky Dish sits (unseen by anyone) on the back of the house.

Probably completely different to your situation.