Getting signal on tv card..

shyamt

Standard Member
I have an aerial wall socket in my lounge that hasn't been used in a few years, and I was wondering if there is any easy test to do (without a TV) to find out if it is connected to a satelite dish or a normal TV aerial..

The reason being that my tv card doesn't support satelite signals and you have to buy another for them..

I've connected it to my PCs TV card (just bought a Hauppauge HVR1100 from Amazon, and connected to PCI) and it won't get any channels, apart from one which just comes up with a black screen..

Thanks.

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Easiest route is to lug a portable analogue TV along to near the socket and try it - most households have a 14 incher somewhere.; one with manual tuning would be easiest to test it (which would have to be an older model).
Is your card a digital or analogue tuner card ?
What are the stated parameters (channel number , frequency etc.) of the blank-screen channel that you apparently get ?
What's the make/model number of your card ?

Chris Muriel, Manchester

shyamt

Standard Member
Easiest route is to lug a portable analogue TV along to near the socket and try it - most households have a 14 incher somewhere.; one with manual tuning would be easiest to test it (which would have to be an older model).
Is your card a digital or analogue tuner card ?
What are the stated parameters (channel number , frequency etc.) of the blank-screen channel that you apparently get ?
What's the make/model number of your card ?

Chris Muriel, Manchester
Thanks for your reply, actually I only have one working tv in my house at the moment, and it's in another room and way too big to move. I'm 99% sure the walls socket is to a rooftop aeriar and not a satelite dish by the way.

The card is a Hauppauge HVR1100, it's digital and analogue - scans for both. I found one analogue channel, in Hauppauges own software it appeared all fuzzy, and on Media Center it appeared with a black screen.

Details of the one analogue channel found... It did a rescan and it's not coming up now, so not really sure.. :S Sorry!

EDIT: Did another scan just now (Saturday morning) and I got 2 analogue channels, on one I can hear the audio the other is static, details are:
Ant-46
Ant-50

Here is a copy of the post I just made on Hauppauges own forums which explains the problem in detail:
Hi guys,

I've purchased a HVR1100 from Amazon the other day and it arrived yesterday..

I put it into the bottom PCI slot of my PC, using Vista 32bit, and following the instructions on the website when I tried installing the drivers I got an INF error, after calling Hauppauge support we realised this was due to Vista installing its own drivers automatically, which I cannot stop even if I change the settings to ask me before installing drivers... So as advised I updated the drivers, pointing to Happauges own drivers.

I connected a walls socket aerial to the tv card, but I got no analogue or digital channels, on advice from Happauge I changed to another PCI slot, which actually picked up one channel, but I couldn't really see anything at all on it (using Hauppauge's software), and on Media Center it came up with a black screen for that one channel..

I've also run the signal checker and it says not found for everything!

Please could you advise me on what to do, as the TV used to get channels from that aerial socket fine, these were analogue channels though, which would be great if I could get!

Thanks!

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
You ought to find out what channels are available in your location.

Digital (Freeview) :
http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe

Analogue : http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tva.exe?

You could confirm this by seeing what your neighbours pick up.
Assuming an antenna is connected, can you see it on the roof or in the loft ?
That way you might be able to identify it - how many elements, boom length, X-shaped ot straight elements etc. ?
Lots of aerial hints n the Freeview section of these forums too.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom