• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Getting Samsung to pay for my TV to be repaired? (Sale of Goods Act 1979.)

nitram_tpr

Hi guys,

I've got a 3 yr old (bought in Feb 2011) Samsung LCD TV, it has just started playing up and I feel a bit aggrieved that it has failed so soon. It turns on, but you can't change channels or alter the volume. After approx a minute the picture freezes then the TV resets (goes black) and the picture comes back.
Anyways, I bought it from Best Buy online, they closed up ages ago so I want to get Samsung to repair it for me using the Sale of Goods Act 1979. I would expect and hopefully anybody would expect a TV to last at least 5yrs.
I'm just wondering if anyone has used the Sale of Goods Act to any good effect to have a TV repaired / replaced while out of its normal warranty? Blood from a stone right?
And yes I am scouring the money saving expert website for advice from them too.

TIA

Martin

AndyCob

I have used the SOGA myself to get a result on a faulty TV in the past however you may be out of luck as the SOGA covers the contract between the seller (your now out of business retailer) and you the buyer the manufacturer is not involved or liable as I understand it, it is the retailer you would pursue under the SOGA.

nitram_tpr

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I did not pay by CC. The TV is now OK, we didn't use it for two days, turned it back on and it has been fine. Fingers crossed it'll stay fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom