Getting rid of sky

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Lyndsey1234, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Lyndsey1234

Lyndsey1234
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I am new to this forums. We are taking the plunge and getting rid of sky! At £41.25 a month it's now getting silly!

I dont really watch live tv and just catch up and netflix in evening. Kids watch cebeebies or netflix. The only reason we kept for so long was f1 (hubby is a fanatic). We are still on the deal we get the f1 channel if we pay for HD. So if we renegotiate we will loose f1 as it would be change in contract...

So we have a chromecast to watch netflix and other streaming. We have just ordered now tv to get the f1 on the week pass when not of bbc. I was planning on just using the sky box as freesat but I read yesterday that it doesn't allow you to record. Which is pointless for me as I never have time to watch when things are on tv!

The other half is tying to convince me that xbox one can get free tv with the tuner, but we dont have aerial just the sky sat and I'm not sure if that would work in their tuner. Also would the xbox one make the noise the 360 does when watching TV (trialed amazon prime last month and the noise was awful!). Also does xbox one play bluray?

So if we get a freesat box as well, it will add to the million other boxes we seem to be accumulating!

I'm still not sure which will be cheapest and best option! I so hate sky!

Thanks for any advice :)

2. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,142
    If you get a freesat box and throw away the sky box, this won't add to your million collection of boxes at all. One for one swap.:D

3. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    If you are fairly certain you're leaving sky, just cancel online, as I recently did for my mum (I was going to get her BT TV instead, and I pay the bills) and the next day online it offered her to come back with 12-months at half-price excluding the HD. Might work out cheap enough? She did have the full TV pack ('Sky World' as it was).

Btw I tried to negotiate a deal via cancellations on the phone and got very little incentive to stay, so cancelled online the next day....then reinstated. I only kept sky as she watches the f1 too.

I'm not encouraging you or others to do this simply for a discount, but only if you're genuinely contemplating giving sky the boot and have an alternative.

4. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Her bl**dy sky HD box is starting to freeze now, so it's not all rosy:(

5. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
  6. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    This chap on this post had the same result as I did with cancelling my mum's sky online (the 50% discount to stay offer)..... twice.

7. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,619
    Can you provide a link to where I can do this?

8. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Iirc you have to log into your 'my sky' and it was one of the options under managing the account. I'll check later when I'm back home.

9. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,619
    No need to, I'll log into "My Sky" and have a look, thanks.

10. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Under 'help & support, there is a link to cancel your sky, but it just guides you to a phone number or live chat, so perhaps I did have to call sky back to cancel.

11. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,619
    I logged into My Sky and started a chat with the intention of getting my Sky package cost down. The advisor asked if he could phone me so I agreed and gave him my number.
    He called, we chatted and I get to stay on my current package for 6 months at £41.80 down from £63.22 so I'm happy with that.

12. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Seriously? I think if you cancel you will get the 50% offered for 12 months (not on the HD package element, maybe).

I looked back at the transcript I had with sky chat and I had spoken to cancellations team again on phone to cancel, but thereafter it was online, so apologies for suggesting you could simply cancel online. FYI the sky chat agent reinstated my mums without the std 12-month contract so I could still cancel at any tim without charge, so you might want to request that. I know on my own sky TV i m tied in for another 12 months (or what remains of it) for a pathetic £6.50 discount, but I know for the next time!