Getting rid of plasma screen burn

NeilF

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Well, I've noticed a nice CN burned into the bottom right of my Plasma from the Cartoon Network channel!

Tne children haven't watched the channel for 24hrs now, and still the CN is there.

I can see it for example on light colour backgrounds. eg: The Sky interface.

Is there anyway I can get rid of it?

Very annoyed it's there :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well, I've noticed a nice CN burned into the bottom right of my Plasma from the Cartoon Network channel!

Tne children haven't watched the channel for 24hrs now, and still the CN is there.

I can see it for example on light colour backgrounds. eg: The Sky interface.

Is there anyway I can get rid of it?

Very annoyed it's there :rolleyes:

Have you used the scrolling bar? I'm sure Ive read a post from you about this and it had faded? if so, it sounds like persistent IR rather than burn. When I get IR I leave the scrolling bar running, ether over night or have the auto off selected on the set so it just runs for 4 hours. A couple of nights of this should at least help it go quicker. I had thiss with the BBC News logo:mad: games had been fine but a few hours of BBC news over a few nights and I had it for over a week.:thumbsdow

I always used to stick any analog channel on after a gaming session. The snowy picture did the job for me every time :)

I always used to stick any analog channel on after a gaming session. The snowy picture did the job for me every time :)

Yep did that on my PX80 and V20 after gaming.:smashin:

Have you used the scrolling bar? I'm sure Ive read a post from you about this and it had faded? if so, it sounds like persistent IR rather than burn. When I get IR I leave the scrolling bar running, ether over night or have the auto off selected on the set so it just runs for 4 hours. A couple of nights of this should at least help it go quicker. I had thiss with the BBC News logo:mad: games had been fine but a few hours of BBC news over a few nights and I had it for over a week.:thumbsdow

I've left the scrolling bar on a few times for a few minutes, but never hours...

You recon hours of it will finally get rid of it?

I've left the scrolling bar on a few times for a few minutes, but never hours...

Minutes won't do it. When I first saw some evidence of retention - which was quite bad as I'd been gaming for hours - I left a snowy channel on (my set back then didn't have the scrolling bar) for maybe 4 hours. And then for 45 mins after each use of the set (set would switch itself off after 45 mins on an un-tuned channel) - the burnt image went away in the end :)

the burnt image went away in the end :)
Fingers crossed mine does! I'm not happy that the kids channel has done this :facepalm:

I'll leave it running for a couple of hours today and report back if it's successful...

A few minutes wont do anything, you need to leave it running for a few hours if you have bad IR, if not all night.

How would you go about using a channel of white noise when no tv aerial is used?
I only use Virgin's Tivo.

What if you zoomed in when the channel logo is on screen?

Ive got some retention from using Internet explorer. I cant believe I forgot to go full screen with my new plasma!

It runs right across the top of the screen. Its more noticable on the left side than the right. Ive tried the scrolling bar 3 nights in a row. Ive tried JScreenFix, which has changed since I last used it. But I just cant figure out the best thing to use to get rid of this.

Anyone have any ideas? I dont think its so bad that Id be stuck with it, I'll be suprised if that is the case.

How would a white screen work? Are there any negatives to using that kind of method? Any tricks that any of you could share? Ive put up with the retention for a few months now, Im sure I could wipe it with the right plan and some persistance!

Nice idea, but it would mean manually flicking aspect. Something I can't see the kids remembering to do.

Did you get this even after you had run the set in? Or did the IR happen during the first couple hundred hours?

mekes82 said:
Ive got some retention from using Internet explorer. I cant believe I forgot to go full screen with my new plasma!

It runs right across the top of the screen. Its more noticable on the left side than the right. Ive tried the scrolling bar 3 nights in a row. Ive tried JScreenFix, which has changed since I last used it. But I just cant figure out the best thing to use to get rid of this.

Anyone have any ideas? I dont think its so bad that Id be stuck with it, I'll be suprised if that is the case.

How would a white screen work? Are there any negatives to using that kind of method? Any tricks that any of you could share? Ive put up with the retention for a few months now, Im sure I could wipe it with the right plan and some persistance!

LG sets use full white screens as an option to remove image retention.
Quite a while ago a member here posted a report that 100hrs of white screen will even the cells back out.
Ill try and dig it out later tonight when im back home.

Last edited:
LG sets use full white screens as an option to remove image retention.
Quite a while ago a member here posted a report that 100hrs of white screen will even the cells back out.
Ill try and dig it out later tonight when im back home.

Interesting, but surely a white screen just 'burns' the entire screen?

If you consider my CN logo is now a darker/lighter patch on the screen, if I white the entire screen for 100hrs then that has surely just 'burned' a single colour logo/image across my whole screen, which then must affect the brightness/contrast in someway on all images?

Interesting, but surely a white screen just 'burns' the entire screen?

If you consider my CN logo is now a darker/lighter patch on the screen, if I white the entire screen for 100hrs then that has surely just 'burned' a single colour logo/image across my whole screen, which then must affect the brightness/contrast in someway on all images?
Heres a link to the forum members info

http://www.avforums.com/forums/14768721-post18.html

Yeh, that seems to show my suggestion is right. You're basing doing a screen burn across your entire screen, which seems damn drastic to me :eek:

You can see from that first PDF the image brightness (?) is now affected across the entire range!?
I think and I admit its been some time since I read the PDFs that the cells of the tv are all aged to a point where there all equal again. I'm going to have to have another read when I get time. ;)

I think this is why LG have full screen white IR removal on there sets.

The scrolling bar method is more or less the same I assume apart from the RGB cells are only lit when the bar passes then switch off again. Though this is just a theory.

I think and I admit its been some time since I read the PDFs that the cells of the tv are all aged to a point where there all equal again. I'm going to have to have another read when I get time. ;)

I think this is why LG have full screen white IR removal on there sets.

The scrolling bar method is more or less the same I assume apart from the RGB cells are only lit when the bar passes then switch off again. Though this is just a theory.

The scrolling bar might be a way to accomplish higher intensity, because when you fill the whole screen with white pixels the brightness limiter kicks in. It doesn't with the scrolling bar on the Panasonics, and not noticeably so on the Samsungs either.

The scrolling bar might be a way to accomplish higher intensity, because when you fill the whole screen with white pixel the brightness limiter kicks in. It doesn't with the scrolling bar on the Panasonics, and not noticeably so on the Samsungs either.
Very good point didnt think about the ABL kicking in. :smashin:

For ten days now, we've not had "Cartoon Network" on the TV, and I've done 2-3 90minute sessions with the white scroll bar. The CN logo is still there :(

$weetFA said:
How would you go about using a channel of white noise when no tv aerial is used?
I only use Virgin's Tivo.

I'll answer my own question about getting a channel of white noise. :) it can be done without an aerial.
Press TV twice on the remote.
This is on a Panasonic remote/tv.

$weetFA said:
I'll answer my own question about getting a channel of white noise. :) it can be done without an aerial.
Press TV twice on the remote

In other words switch it to analogue without an aerial plugged in but beware some models switch to standby afer 15 mins when no signal is detected.

For ten days now, we've not had "Cartoon Network" on the TV, and I've done 2-3 90minute sessions with the white scroll bar. The CN logo is still there :(

Left it for another 4hrs on the scrolling white bar... Still there :(

Is there an alternative/better means to try and get rid of this burn?

Did you get this even after you had run the set in? Or did the IR happen during the first couple hundred hours?

Yeah my sets getting more IR now but I think its to do with the panel driving issue(green tinge).

Left it for another 4hrs on the scrolling white bar... Still there :(

Is there an alternative/better means to try and get rid of this burn?

Has it reduced? Maybe try the slides, cant think of much else sorry.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom