1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting rid of PD30 ...... what now?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Uzey, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tuesday 18th May, Panasonic TX-32PD30 delivered. 6 days later, I report it faulty (very bad picture on analogue aerial and RGB SCART pictures). 2 days later, engineer calls and 'lies' saying that the TV is OK so I kick up a stink with the supplier.6 days later, TV is picked up and taken somewhere for evaluation. I am now on day 20 and I am going to ring the supplier tomorrow.
    Does anybody know what my rights are? I'd like to ask for a new (and different) TV or maybe even my money back?
    The supplier has a '7 day money back' guarantee. Will I qualify for this seeing as I rang it in on day 6?
    Lastly, will it be worth swopping the PD30 for a Toshiba 32ZP38B or maybe a Thomson 32WB642S?

Thanks in advance!

2. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    You have more than enough protection in law to get your money back - so no problem there. The difficulty is where next. After my 2 PD30's I tried the Tosh, no luck for me but you might have more luck. I am waiting for the new JVC. Currently I have an old Bush portable, dont laugh, nice picture and no strange faults unlike the other TV's I have tried at 10 times the price.

3. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who's laughing? My old Panny 21" simply blows the PD30 out of the water PQ wise. Bush used to be a top make and they're British!
    I might wait for the new JVC but something inside me tells me that it might dissapoint! Funny, isn't it, all this new fan-dangled technology and we're relying on 'crappy' old 50Hz sets with no digital gadgetry for a decent picture!
    Thanks for the info.

4. gtfc

gtfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same boat with the PD30, Some progs via freeview are fantastic a good example would be Gardeners World with lots of colour and slow images. Get to Football and anything that moves and it is abysmal, it seem to to be good with large detailed images but then anything in the background and smaller images just tizz and blurr.
    DVD via component is great. But I'm not spending £1,000 on a TV that will not reproduce a broadcast image full stop.

Who makes a 32" 50hz tv that will take PAL,NTSC prog scan via component ???

I too have an old panny 21"4:3 thing and watching football on that is a pleasure. Do Panasonic actually watch these TVs in the real world ?

Regards

5. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my PD30, ALL pictures were crap. Analogue terrestrial, Freeview RGB, SKY Digital RGB, Panasonic DVD player RGB.... even my JVC outputting component PAL and NTSC progressive wasn't that impressive.
    Luckily, the people I bought it off were VERY good and have agreed to give me a refund or exchange. I'm going to go for the JVC HV-32D40. It's a lot cheaper, has better specs AND a built in freeview adaptor. It's also firmware upgradeable via the RS232 socket round the back using a laptop or PC so any inherent problems can be fixed in the future.
    Trouble is, it isn't out yet and won't be for a week or so.
    Humph!

6. gtfc

gtfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Uzey,

If my second one is not 100% then I will get the very same, I don't mind waiting as I price watched the PD30 for 4 months before buying.

Wouldn't you just like to get the National Panasonic Sales boss into your house to watch the set and see what they say.

Regards

John

7. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    It is not the sales guy I would like to talk to but the manufacturing boss. I have worked in various manufacturing industries and we simply could not afford to have this level of failures.

It really cannot be that hard to build a TV to a decent quality

8. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There must be more than one production line for the PD30 and I reckon that one production line is good, one bad etc..... Maybe one is full of all these poxy asylum seekers that are influxing our green land at the moment. Yesterday they were washing windscreens in Kalabalan, today they build £1000+ TV sets for the British public.

9. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Go for Sony , my FQ80 copes with everything that’s thrown at it , much better than the three (yes 3) Panny PB50’s I had previously .

Analogue PQ is great and Sky digital ranges from good (say one of the more compressed documentary channels) to excellent (sky news, BBC etc ) . DVD playback is flawless , in fact rarely do I see any problems

Oh and it likes sky football .

I will never buy Panasonic again , PQ quality is just crap , only on DVD’s and some SKY movie channels did the PQ look good , it just couldn’t handle any channel that wasn’t perfect . I’m talking from a bad 12mths experience with them .