Getting rid of old Thermal past

jetinder

Prominent Member
Reaction score
What can be used to get rid of old thermal paste from a CPU ?

Can methelayted spirits be used ?

Can tape cleaning fluid (which i guess has pure alcohol in it) be used ?

This is not a wined up i need to know what i can use as i dont want to muck up my CPU.

I've got meths, stinks like hell i heard its used to clean glass, but wasnt sure if it was ok to clean the CPU as the CPU gets very very hot.

Next time my Intel CPU needs looking at, i'll clean the CPU with meths and re-apply MX2 paste to it (as the moment after spreading a thin layer of MX2 on it, some of that moves away from part of the CPU = CPU needs a clean).

But the AMD CPU will come first.

I've got meths, stinks like hell i heard its used to clean glass, but wasnt sure if it was ok to clean the CPU as the CPU gets very very hot.

Next time my Intel CPU needs looking at, i'll clean the CPU with meths and re-apply MX2 paste to it (as the moment after spreading a thin layer of MX2 on it, some of that moves away from part of the CPU = CPU needs a clean).

But the AMD CPU will come first.

I am not sure if it said to wash it off with water or not, as I can't remember I can't suggest it.

Generally all the meth would evapourate at standard room temp so that shouldn't be an issue.

Iso Alcohol. Or better still the neat stuff. I would NOT use Meths. That will leave a residue that may interfere with the thermal paste.

Iso Al evaporates once you've cleaned the surface off.

Make sure you get none of the old paste on the pins whatever you do!

Iso Alcohol. Or better still the neat stuff. I would NOT use Meths. That will leave a residue that may interfere with the thermal paste.

Iso Al evaporates once you've cleaned the surface off.

Make sure you get none of the old paste on the pins whatever you do!

Where can i get ISO Alcohol ?

Any hardware store, pc world etc. Also known as IsoClean and isopropanol.

Myself, I've always found surgical swabs to be the most effective thing to remove thermal paste.

Maplin sells Isopropyl Alcohol, but they're quite expensive.

Try Googling for suppliers.

++ to not getting any on the pins - I tend to carefully scrape most of the old stuff off using a clean razor blade first.

Where can i get ISO Alcohol ?
Chemists often have it, but if you can find a hifi store they may have a bottle of it by Allsop etc for cleaning purposes.

Have a ganders on Fleabay.

Agree about Maplins. The stuff is staggeringly expensive on there! :eek:

Is ISO-PROPYL ALCOHOL the same as ISO Alcohol ?

if used meths and then cleaned the surface with a tiny drop of fairy liquid would that be ok as fairy liquid gets rid of grease etc on dishes.

Is surgical Spirit the same as ISO Alcohol ?

God all this effort just clean a tiny CPU surface .............

Is ISO-PROPYL ALCOHOL the same as ISO Alcohol ?

if used meths and then cleaned the surface with a tiny drop of fairy liquid would that be ok as fairy liquid gets rid of grease etc on dishes.

Is surgical Spirit the same as ISO Alcohol ?

God all this effort just clean a tiny CPU surface .............
It is.

I would use the alcohol to get rid of everything. It's pretty good at removing anything on a metal surface.

Surgical spirit is not the same.

I know what you mean. :D

Ebay has what you need - and at a sensible price. I don't think we're allowed to link to Fleabay so just PM me and I'll give you the link.

isopropyl alcohol is definately what you need :smashin:

no fairy liquid or anything grease related, IPA gets rid of everything and evaporates before you know it

I get mine through work :cool:

if anyone's in dire need I'm sure I could source some and forward it on :lesson:

(p.s - use the isopropyl on the end of a cotton bud (ear bud) and roll it over the CPU, so easy a monkey could do it)

Nothing fancy or smelly, I always use unscented baby wipes and a paper hanky to wipe off the moisure. Works a treat since I am still using this computer successfully.

Currently the weather is cooler (20C) after 5 hrs of use my CPU is running at 36C and PC case is running at 31C.

So i guess room temp does effect the PC.

Will take your advise and when i next take the PC apart i will use one of your suggestions.

Acetone, available from any chemist.

Bit of a noob question, but regarding thermal paste is it a necessity on a new CPU ie do you need to apply your own?

Yes. The purpose of it is to ensure better heat conduction by filling the tiny gaps between the CPU and its cooler. Some CPU coolers come with a ready applied thermal pad. If applying paste a blob about the size of a couple of grains of rice is sufficient, spread into a thin even layer over the centre of the CPU using a credit card or similar

Yes. The purpose of it is to ensure better heat conduction by filling the tiny gaps between the CPU and its cooler. Some CPU coolers come with a ready applied thermal pad. If applying paste a blob about the size of a couple of grains of rice is sufficient, spread into a thin even layer over the centre of the CPU using a credit card or similar

Not always the best way. This is a link to Arctic Silver's guide on how to apply depending on your cpu.

I used greenback last time I needed to do this, as long as you're careful you don't get any problems

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom