Getting rid of a HTPC - Options

Derkster

Thinking of price needed to change for NAS and media player, I`d find a way to make current system works or maybe look into slightly smaller case based on m-itx board.
To be honest the Htpc is years old now and needs upgrading so this might force me to start

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Also remember seeing that Nvidia Shield didn't work perfectly for media, so aim for Pro version unless this was sorted.
My non-Pro Shield is fine, streams everything I can throw at it. It's the newer tube model. I don't find it as stable as my older one. It's a rare thing but sometimes it freezes when I stop a video and doesn't go back to the menu.
I've learned over the years that it doesn't matter how good your media streamer is, none of them are perfect.

I would say though, if you don't need any of the extra things a Shield can do, such as the streaming apps, emulation etc then the Vero4K is a great, cheaper, does Kodi and nothing else, alternative.

Ruffuz

My non-Pro Shield is fine, streams everything I can throw at it. It's the newer tube model. I don't find it as stable as my older one. It's a rare thing but sometimes it freezes when I stop a video and doesn't go back to the menu.
I've learned over the years that it doesn't matter how good your media streamer is, none of them are perfect.

I would say though, if you don't need any of the extra things a Shield can do, such as the streaming apps, emulation etc then the Vero4K is a great, cheaper, does Kodi and nothing else, alternative.
Think it was something to do with amount of RAM and that the PRO version worked much better. Something along those lines, but that might have been fixed via firmware already.

John7

Yes, you would take the drives out and use your own. I retain smaller drives for backups but I suppose with used ones you don't know how much use they've had.

My NAS sits on my AV rack together with my receiver, BR player, Virgin Media etc. It's not noisy and I have power savings set to power-down the drives after 30 minutes of inactivity. Just means it takes a few seconds to wake up when data is requested. This minimizes any noise, reduces drive wear and power consumption.

Derkster

Thanks chaps

You have been a great help, I appreciate it.

I do like the look of the nvidea but I will have a read on the different types as I want to run vlc player as well.

Now I have mentioned it, one last question.

Can i install nordvpn, vlc player on all media players or are there only certain models that can do it?

Last edited:

Ruffuz

Thanks chaps

You have been a great help, I appreciate it.

I do like the look of the nvidea but I will have a read on the different types as I want to run vlc player as well.

Now I have mentioned it, one last question.

Can i install nordvpn, vlc player on all media players or are there only certain models that can do it?
Kodi has addon for VPN.

No idea about vlc.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
You can't install anything on the Vero4K. It's a Linux installation with everything stripped out you don't need to run Kodi and Kodi installed on it. You can install compatible Kodi apps, but that's it.

Android players should all run VLC. VPN, many streamers have it, but they're not all compatible with all VPN's IIRC. Don't take this as gospel as I don't and have never used one for streaming.

Derkster

You can't install anything on the Vero4K. It's a Linux installation with everything stripped out you don't need to run Kodi and Kodi installed on it. You can install compatible Kodi apps, but that's it.

Android players should all run VLC. VPN, many streamers have it, but they're not all compatible with all VPN's IIRC. Don't take this as gospel as I don't and have never used one for streaming.
Thanks mate. I assume that I can access the Google playstore on the Nvidea

albriscoe

Distinguished Member
So it sounds like I need to get a NAS or similar with an attached media player.

Storage costs then i am looking at:

2 new 16tb external £340
4 bay nas £450 keeping my drives
24tb WD Duo £480

Is that about right? Any cheaper way of doing it do you think?
I use a Vero 4K+ and a Synology 5 bay NAS which all works flawlessly. The NAS will be going up for sale soon as i need more space, its currently housing 5 x 4tb WD reds.

Al

Derkster

I use a Vero 4K+ and a Synology 5 bay NAS which all works flawlessly. The NAS will be going up for sale soon as i need more space, its currently housing 5 x 4tb WD reds.

Al
Thanks mate. I wouldn't need the drives but might be interested in the NAS. Can you let me know what you would want for it?

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Thanks mate. I assume that I can access the Google playstore on the Nvidea
Yes you can.

The NAS will be going up for sale soon as i need more space, its currently housing 5 x 4tb WD reds.
You can get 16TB drives. They may not be compatible with you NAS depending upon age but certainly larger drives could be preventing you from needing to buy a new NAS and just some larger drives.

@Derkster as well.

If you're looking to fill a NAS with specific to NAS HDD's then the cheapest way to buy them is to get the WD Duo's, which contain WD Red Drives, when they're on sale, which is often, and remove the drives.

It usually works out a bit more than half price compared to buying a single internal drive.

The last time I did it was a while ago and the enclosure was £360 for 2x10TB drives. The drives, loose, were £320 each.

albriscoe

Distinguished Member
Thanks mate. I wouldn't need the drives but might be interested in the NAS. Can you let me know what you would want for it?
i've honestly no idea tbh, its served me well having no issues whatsoever with streaming 1080p/4k movies all around the house

i suppose i should really post in the classifieds but wouldn't know where to start price wise

ideally i'd like to get rid of the drives as well

Al

Derkster

i've honestly no idea tbh, its served me well having no issues whatsoever with streaming 1080p/4k movies all around the house

i suppose i should really post in the classifieds but wouldn't know where to start price wise

ideally i'd like to get rid of the drives as well

Al
OK. If you work out a price just let me know. I might have bought by the time you do it but just give me a shout anyway if you can.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I forget about types of drive. I have WD greens, will they be okay
They'll work fine, but they're not the ideal choice. I would look at NAS specific drives when it comes to replacing them.

I had a mishmash of drive types and sizes to start off with which is why i went with SHR, as unlike traditional RAID I got all my drive space.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
If you're only using it for streaming media, then instead of a small HTPC or NUC then look at a dedicated media streamer.
Yep agree

You could look into deskmini, not much bigger than NUC and it fits one(a300 2) m.2 drive and 2 x 2.5
Unless you need functionality beyond what a media player needs, imo there is no point running any sort of PC regardless of OS. Custom media players like Vero 4K+ work straight off the box, decode pretty much all video types in hardware and the box is not much bigger than a pack of cards. As the remote is RF you can put it anywhere.

What do you need to run VLC for? Kodi will play the same formats.

I forget about types of drive. I have WD greens, will they be okay
They'll work fine, but they're not the ideal choice. I would look at NAS specific drives when it comes to replacing them.
I would actually say it depends. There were known issues with WD Greens that caused them to go to sleep. This was particularly problematic if they were used in a RAID configuration and would cause the drives to drop from the array. :(

Given they will also be getting a bit long in the tooth would look at replacing them when you get a new NAS.

As others have recommended go for a NAS and separate media player. That way you are not tied into a particular NAS ecosystem for playback needs. I have got an Intel NUC running LibreElec and Kodi but recently got a Vero 4K+ for a different room. The NUC is fractionally quicker at navigating to say the Movies Page on a heavy skin than the Vero but the Vero otherwise seems a better player.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
My Shields are way quicker than my Vero4K at navigating, building and cleaning the library etc.

It's not the Vero4K is slow, it's just the Shield is very powerful. The Vero4K is perfectly useable and i would have no hesitation recommending it.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
If you're only using it for streaming media, then instead of a small HTPC or NUC then look at a dedicated media streamer.

Smaller and cheaper. Nvidia Shield TV, Vero4K, AppleTV 4K, Zodoo X?, Zappitti. Loads of choices and many of them, such as the Nvidia or Vero4K or will play anything you can throw at them, video wise (unless it's really weird) and audio wise.
If I might chime in; a dedicated media streamer almost always ship with their own remote control stick included which will "just work" whereas something like a NUC/Brix or other "PC" based solution may not have a remote at all and/or need some "fiddling" to get one to work. Perhaps another factor to weigh in the decision making.

Derkster

Thanks all

I have decided to get an Nvidea shield with a NAS but the cost of these things are putting me off.

I have found a 4 bay Netgear RN21400 for around £250 which looks okay and I am trying to find a reason why buying a synology or QNAP will be better.

Can anybody give me a reason not to buy the Netgear?

chopples

Distinguished Member
Thanks all

I have decided to get an Nvidea shield with a NAS but the cost of these things are putting me off.

I have found a 4 bay Netgear RN21400 for around £250 which looks okay and I am trying to find a reason why buying a synology or QNAP will be better.

Can anybody give me a reason not to buy the Netgear?
Whilst I admit my knowledge is not the best regarding all this different available NAS manufacturers I did own a readynas. Whilst that box will do the job of serving files I personally didn't find the OS very intuitive, in addition package support is pretty poor, even the ones available are typically old versions leaving a dependancy to find pre packaged apps to manually upload or failing that using terminal to pull, build and install. I also think for your needs savings can be had. The terramaster range could be worth a look, they have 4 bay quad core armv8 variants for sub £200

Derkster

Thanks

I suppose buying and then using the netgear will then make me realise why I should have spent the money in the first place.

Although I won't be a heavy user I will be watching films on my tablet across a network.

John7

I bought a cheap NAS once (Zyxel) and had to return as it was too slow on playback. If you're streaming HD content and above, you need a beefier processor than the cheapo ones have (in my experience).

With the Zidoo media player, you don't need Kodi or anything else. I has it's own built in cinema app that plays virtually everything including 4K and Atmos audio. Only thing it doesn't do is Dolby Vision and HDR 10. I think there is is a new model coming soon that does this but I'm not sure if it's possible to rip DV video from a 4K disk in any case.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
but I'm not sure if it's possible to rip DV video from a 4K disk in any case.
It's possible into an mp4 container, but you lose the HD Audio.

You can keep the HD audio and mux it into a .ts file.

MakeMKV have nearly cracked it as far as into an mkv container, there's some issue with the colourspace but they're very close.

Gerry557

The synology allow the use of different sized hard drives so can use what you might have now and upgrade over time. Others you have to use same size disks throughout. This is less flexible and when you want to increase I think you have to do all four discs at same time.

There is a smr raid cal on their Web site which explains it better

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony XH95 TV, Klipsch The Fives Speakers & Bias Light Reviews + Best of the Month

Trending threads

Latest News

Cambridge Audio unveils new-look SX speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Google unveils Pixel 5 and 4a 5G smartphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Google launches new Chromecast with Google TV
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 30th September 2020