1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting rf signal into my projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by micks_address, Mar 13, 2003.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    High folks,

The room where i have my pj set up has an rf feed coming in on a co ax aerial lead from our living room where its conmected to the rf out of our sky digibox. I know the quality won't be great but its my only option at the moment.

I have a cheap vcr which has two scarts and a audio left and right output. Should it be possible to send the rf signal out on one of the scart sockets and then using a composite connection from the scart to connect to the projector?

I guess the only way to know for sure is to try it out so i must give it a shot over the weekend.

Cheers,
    Mick

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Thats how I've got mine. I have a VCR plugged into the amp (via scart) and then daisy chained into the PJ (via composite)

3. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - that should work - but the quality will not be good as you correctly point out.

HOWEVER there is a little-known trick that you can perform in order to perform this conversion. :lesson:

What you need to do is to get three old TV aerials and mount them all in the same plane but one sraight ahead and the other two crossed at 45 degrees to each other.

Then you connect coax to each one, with your 'R' being the centre one, and the two colour difference signals being the side aerials.

Then you mount the whole assembly in a fish tank full of water (with corrosion inhibitor added). This has the effect of polarising the incoming signal and adding enough delay to the colour difference channels to make it work.

The result: Instant component video signal for free!! :clap:

Yippeeeee. :D

John

4. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't believe no-one replied to the above....

I guess everyone was asleep :(

Maybe the fish tank gave it away...

5. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    tried the fish tank approach but i blew a fuse :)

Seriously though - i tried connecting everything up last night. I'm using a s-video lead from the back of the vcr to the projector and i'm getting a black and white picture. I'm using a scart to s-video adapter so perhaps the video coming out from the scart socket is rgb or something? Anyway i'm going trying an rca video cable tonight -- that should give me colour put i was kinda hoping to use the composite input on the pj for my playstation 2. Can anyone veryify why i might be getting black and white over the s-video cable?

Thanks,
    Mick