1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting ready to ceiling mount the AE300

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by edz, Jul 3, 2003.

1. edz

edz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Aftnoon all

I finally got my AE300 a couple of weeks ago, (been on holiday for a week for our anniversary), what can I say ... fantastic unit.

Made myself a 6ft 8 wide screen from wood/corner units and blackout material. Picture looks stunning from 12 foot away even when watching SKY, (we watched Sleepy Hollow on film four weekly)

Screen cost all of £25 to make and hangs on the picture rail without any further mountings, (see attached)

Now I'm getting ready to ceiling mount the projector - probably using an lmp mount - but I need some advice on cabling.

I have the projector hooked up via a scart / rgb to my DVD and SKY box (Quintrix will be on order soon) but I dont much fancy trying to route a fully wired scart through walls/joists etc much less the chance of getting a SCART plug through an lmp mount :eek: :eek: :eek:

SO.. what do you guys recommend, I want to stay RGB if possible rather than wiring up S video, my present thoughts are to wire up as follows:

Either:

Buy a custom scart run without the scarts attached, run the cable then solder the sockets on ... but where from ?

OR

1 run of Shielded cat 5, (if I can find a supplier), from pc to the pc in socket (for watching captured TV), run into the office next door to the lounge

PLUS

1 run of Shielded cat 5, terminated in a SCART socket running into a quintrix unit which then hooks into the VCR, SKY BOX and multi region DVD. Ideally this run should be wired to carry RGB and composite, (for the VCR)

Anyone out there carried this off yet ?

A HTPC isnt on the cards as yet, (and I'm quite happy with RGB from my multi region Pioneer DVD player), so component video isnt in the near future either but where would people recommend sourcing the cables from and which way have those of you who have run RGB to your units gone about it ?

Cheers All

Edz

Attached Files:

2. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks good, I'm building a similar setup from scratch with speakers about the same size (Mission). I was thinking of flush mounting the three front into the wall. Would this sound crap, I know they're supposed to be in front of a wall with space between. Just wondered if anyone has put tere speakers into the wall.

3. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hi

I am currently having a barn renovated (2 months to go) and am just in the process of having my 300 wired in.

I wouldnt recomend having the speakers built into the wall. They would sound too boomy for me, I would have them about 600mm from the wall.

I will take my camera over to the barn this morning and take some works in progress shots.