1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting PS2 online

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Kellogs, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Kellogs

Kellogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I want to get my PS2 online, but I don't know all the technicalities so im hoping some of you kind folks can answer my questions.

I would like to use a router, but im confused as to how it works. My PC is in a different room from my PS2 so how do I connect it? Also, my broadband connection isn't wireless, so does that mean I can't have a wireless router? (I know I probably sound like a complete idiot) And besides a router and PS2 network adapter, what else do I need to get my PS2 online?

2. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Hi Kellogs,

Welcome to the forums! :thumbsup:

It's not actually your broadband connection that's wireless in itself as all broadband is either delivered via the phone line, cable TV line or in some rarer cases satelite. The majority is provided through phone & cable sources.

To create a wireless network you need a wireless router into which your internet connection goes and your equipment (PC &/or PS2)needs to be able to receive a wireless signal. There are 4 ways you can set up your network and i'll list them below :

A) Have your PC hardwired and and your PS2 hardwired to a router - generally the cheapest route as you don't need a wireless router or wireless network cards/access points etc. The downside is that you will have one long wire trawling around the house!

B) Have the PC Hardwired & the PS2 wireless. You will need an access point/ethernet bridge which sits near your PS2 and receives the wireless signal which can then be sent to the PS2 via a short wire. Has the added expense of an access point or ethernet bridge.

C) Have your PC wireless and PS2 hardwired. Good because wireless PC cards are fairly cheap. Bad because your internet connection may well already be in your PC room and not your PS2 room meaning that you'd have to change layout for it to work.

D) The last method (and most expensive) is to have a fully wireless system with both the PC & PS2 wireless. The advantages are that you could have the devices placed whereever you wanted without the hassle of wires.

Given the layout that you suggest i'd say that option B is probably the best. You would need a Wireless Router a Wireless ethernet bridge or a Wireless gaming adaptor . The gaming adaptor seems that it works for games consoles easier out of the box but apart from that they seem essentially the same thing. I can't say i've used an ethernet bridge/gaming adaptor before so not really sure which the best one to go for is. I'm sure others on here use then though. :thumbsup:

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

3. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Kellogs - Rule Number 1 - don't listen to anything gthom3 has to say, it's all drivel.

Only joking, that is probably the most OT post gthom has ever made. Could even turn it into a sticky.

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    :D I don't know what you mean Poon - all of my posts stick 100% to the topic in hand :rolleyes: - well maybe I do stray from time to time :devil: .

5. mightymatt

mightymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Belkin wireless network (802.11g) and i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to add my ps2 to the network because my router is upstairs and i want to plug the ethernet cable into one of the pc's recieving the internet. could anyone tell me how to do this

p.s : i think this has something to do with network bridging

Someone help me :lease:

6. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    yep, you will need a wireless bridge to get you PS2 online wirelessly. Something like a Linksys WET11 Wireless Ethernet Bridge will do it. if you read Gthom(cas fan) original post the bottom of it is about how to do it and what to get, and where.