Quantcast

Question Getting private Sky Q in an apartment block

Mayandi2

I just discovered that the communal Sky dish in the apartment block to which we are moving has not been upgraded for installation of Sky Q. The Management Company told me that in order for this upgrade to take place, I have to apply to the directors who will then consider this in a meeting and even then the costs will have to be shared even if all other residents agree, which I doubt. So that route is closed.

BUT, just outside the balcony of our penthouse and within easy reach is an old Sky dish that was disconnected years ago when the communal dish went up. When I explained this to a local TV aerial and dish installer (who does a lot of Sky Q work), he said that for £229 he could replace that old dish with a Sky Q one able to pick up the necessary signals. The 'green box' is just down the road from the building. The management company said they were OK with it as long as it did not interfere with others' Sky (non-Q) reception; the aerial guy reassured me that it would not interfere with anything.

He is busy and will only come in a week to look at the old dish. I can bear that cost but this sounds too easy otherwise. Can this really be done - a private Sky Q dish in an apartment block where no one else has Q?

rs101

Not sure what relevance the green box has - that's broadband, not satellite.

There may be planning/lease issues with using the extra dish too.

TJT1

If you have Sky why not get Sky to fit the dish for free. That's what my daughter had done through 2 moves.

Russ_64

Speak to Sky and tell them you have an old dish. They should replace or upgrade it as part of the Q setup fee, they did for me. Because it is in a block they may want written permission from the management company and don’t mention the communal system, as they will not even send an installer because they are not allowed to touch those installations.

Mayandi2

There are no planning or lease issues. The dish is just outside the balcony of the penthouse and was once used by the owner but disconnected when the communal dish went up. I checked and the management Company assured me that there was no problem.

Sky refused point blank to send out anyone to survey (and I am supposed to be a VIP customer). They said that they did NOT do individual installations in apartments blocks even if the management were OK with it (they have spoken to each other). Sky said that I had to get the dish upgrade or replacement privately.

I can live with the installation cost. But theoretically, it should be possible?

rs101

Speak to Sky and tell them you have an old dish. They should replace or upgrade it as part of the Q setup fee, they did for me. Because it is in a block they may want written permission from the management company and don’t mention the communal system, as they will not even send an installer because they are not allowed to touch those installations.
Sky's system may well have a record of a communal system at his address though. If so, then they'll only send a communal engineer and won't install a dish.

Mayandi2

That might be it. There certainly is a communal Sky dish there.

I spoke to Sky after I spoke to that private engineer. They had no problems with coming in to install Q once I had the new compatible dish in place.

Top Bottom