1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting power to ceiling mounted ae100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by calibos, Feb 13, 2003.

1. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've finally gotten around to ceiling mounting my AE100 but I have one problem. Unlike most ceiling mounted ae100's that I have seen, mine is in a converted single storey garage with no access to the roof space/upstairs floor boards/upstairs powersockets/ring main etc etc:confused: Therefore I'll have to run a power cable through trunking up the wall and along the ceiling. Can you buy 5 metre 'kettle cables' for want of a better word that are suitable foe the ae100? Or do I chop off the plug that goes into the PJ and re-wire it to a 5 metre cable? Or run a 5 metre single socket extension cable up to the PJ, attach socket to ceiling and use existing short ae100 power lead to plug PJ into that?

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Leave the existing cable alone and buy the little IEC plug to fit to your new cable from any of the usal 'lecky spares' outlets.

Mike.

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Calibos,

I had much the same problem.... no access to ceiling because of laminate floor in room above :)mad: ). The trunking route for me goes into an alcove where the window is. I "broke out" of the trunking at this point and plugged the PJ into an extension lead with a single socket. This is quite neat, and hidden behind blackout curtains anyway. My PJ came with two power leads, so an alternative solution (which I considered but didn't do), is to cut the plug off the power lead with the continental pug that came with the PJ, and use a connector block to join this to a longer lead - just make sure the connections are good and secure, and wrap it well with insulating tape. The join should fit inside your trunking - depending on what signal cable you're running alonside it). I'd say that this doesn't comply with the regs, but its effective and safe. To be sure, you could put the join in a connection box, and continue the trunking. I got "stick on" square trunking which has a "snap-on" lid and it works a treat. I'd say the sticky stuff will be a bugger to get off the wall/ceiling when the time comes though......

Good luck,

Sean G.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi again,

Just had another thought (ouch!).....

Is the PJ mounted in a direct line (more or less) with the centre light in the room (assuming a centre light !) ?? If the joists in your garage conversion are running length ways (from front wall of garage towards back of house), and there aren't any "bridging" pieces in the way, you could drill a 2 - 3" diameter hole above your PJ, and fish a wire towards the light fitting and take the power from there. You'd need to make sure there was an earth wire too.....

Too much mularky, maybe ???

See ya,

Sean G.

5. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    There is no centre light unfortunately but you've got me thinking. What if I cut out a fist size hole in the ceiling which the mount will eventually cover. Cut a smaller hole where cables (power and video) enter the ceiling in the far corner of the room. Tie a weight to a piece of string and throw it towards that corner. Tie cables to string and pull them through. Has anyone tried anything like this. Is it feasible(sp)??

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Keith,

If the PJ is mounted in the centre line of the room (assumption) and you're puttin the power and signal cables up in the corner of the room, its unlikely that you'll be able to make it work - theres likely to be joists somewhere in the way - running either front to back, or side to side. Hooking up to a light power source would prob be a bit dodgy, in retrospect, unless there's an earth wire there. If you do try the option you set out in your post, then use a wire to get from one point to the other in your ceiling - straighten out 4/5 wire coathangers, tape them together with masking tape/similar one a 4" overlap at the ends, til you end up with 12 feet or more of wire. Then tape the end of a very long piece of string to one end and use the wire to push the piece of string through on hole, and on towards the other. When the wire has gone far enough, you should be able to locate it at the other end, free the string and pull it through. then use the string to pull the cable from one point to another, making sure to include another equally long piece of string which you can use to repeat the exercise at any future point. This will only work if the joists are running in the same direction as the direction in which you want to run the cables, and if there's no bridging pieces in the way. (bridging pieces are shorter pieces of joist places cross ways between the main joists to help rigidity. You should be able to check where the joists are by tapping the ceiling, or use a stud locator.

I'm away from Monday, back next thur/Fri, if you're still puzzled by then PM me and I'll see if I can help, if you like.

All the best,

Sean G.

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Much better than coat hanger wire. Use the trunking lid from the trunking you're gonna use (or buy a length anyway). It's long, flexible and easy to manoeuver over joists etc. Tape the wires to the end (once you've got it out through the exit hole) and then pull back. You'll be amazed how you can get a piece of trunking lid through all sorts of tight spaces.

8. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Good idea messiah & Ritz!:smashin: