1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting PF2 exchanged...

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Rojo, May 20, 2003.

1. Rojo

Rojo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The green trails finally beat me.

Watched "Pay Back" last night, and there were trails everywhere.

:mad:

I've had the set a week and have decided that exhange is the only way forward. Called Robertsons tonight. They were really helpful.

They've logged the problem with Toshiba who will replace the set asap.

I'd be grateful if PF1, PF2, and ZD owners would post as to whether this is a problem on their sets. A yes or no will suffice.

Sometimes its unnoticeable, other times its unbearable. Apart from this issue this set is the bees knees.

2. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    I am not going to look for problems on my PF2 when I get it on friday but out of interest what do these green trails look like

3. Rojo

Rojo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you've got them you won't have to go looking for them. You'll see them.

I don't notice them in normal day time viewing really. But night time in more subdued lighting.

The green trails are exactly that. They are seen in dark parts of the screen when there is movement. The effect is like the early video cameras when they went past a bright light and left a smear trail behind them only very subtle (usually). The effect is quick (the fade very fast) which makes them even more distracting.

Hope your set is fine.

Apart from this problem - the set is fantastic, which is why I want another one.

4. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Rojo, glad to here you have had no difficulties in getting a replacement. Did they not insist on an engineer looking at it first?
    The trails are terrible on my 32ZD26. As the credits rolled at the end of "Kevin and Perry" on sat night, they left a smear about six inches long! I previously sent an email to Tosh CS and mentioned other users on this forum were experiencing the issue. Rather than pass it on to a technical department they just told me to get an engineer sent out!
    I fear that it is a Tosh feature which varies in it severity from set to set.
    Let us know how you get on.

The smearing is also mentioned in a thread here --> http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55097

5. Rojo

Rojo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Robertsons gave me Toshiba's helpline but also said that the set should be replaced as I'd had it less than 7 days.

I rang Toshiba to see if it's a known "feature" but they said they'd send an engineer. Rang Robertsons back and they said, you don't want an engineer fiddling around with it, especially as its so new.

So it's down to be replaced.

Having followed your thread links, I think all Toshiba sets have this issue - some more than others.

But I'm not accepting it on a set that cost £1,500 when it ruins a film like FOTR. In a darkened room, it's painful to watch. My 28" Goodmans produces a more watchable picture!!!!

Having said that on other fare (lighter) it's glorious.

6. rcladin

rcladin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rojo,

What will you do if the new set from toshiba has the green trails again?

Keep replacing until one is satisfactory?

It is probably an unwanted feature of this toshiba, and i read other comments on other toshiba sets have this too.

I'm willing to pay £1500 for this set too, in a couple of months time, so please let us know how you got on with the replacement.

-rcladin

7. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    It might be worth bringing this "feature" to the attention of this guy:

Nigel Evans,
    Toshiba Electronics (UK) Ltd,
    Riverside Way,
    Camberley,
    Surrey,
    GU15 3YA.

He's the UK Customer Relations manager and has been extremely helpful in getting problems fixed with progressive scan via certain consoles. He has had dealings with various members from this forum.
    Any chance someone could take some screen grabs?
    Speaking to him, we are likely to get a definitive answer as to whether the issue is fixable and what is causing it.

8. Rojo

Rojo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If it's obvious on the new one then I'll have to seriously consider an exchange or a refund.

As I say, daytime viewing I can't notice it. The trails disappear quickly and the ambient light diffuses the screen's contrast. They are just a pain in the proverbial bum when watching during the evening when the light is subdued.

It appears that this is an issue (sometimes referred to as "flaring" by some or "image persistence" and "phosphur decay" by others) with Toshiba TVs. Bilboo has calibrated quite a few Stratas and all have this issue, but with differeing levels of severity.

I'm hoping that mine is just a bad example. If not, I have a tough decision to make.

9. Rojo

Rojo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the info. ;)

10. normski

normski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes i have the green trails very noticeable on my set even in normal light, this is my second pf2 the first was damaged out of the box which was used for a couple of weeks i watched the matrix on it and seemed ok very little smearing, but this one is bad robertsons sent a rma to tosh for an exchange last friday.
    although this set is smearing the reason for exchange is the tube has a green stain over most of it looks like the kind of effect if the tv is close to speakers but i dont have any near the tv at all. the first tv had this also but only in the top right hand corner.Why is quality control so iffy surely they can produce a consistant batch of tvs or is it that the robots have diferent setting up parameters after all a bunch of electronics and a tube how difficult can it be. its all cad anyway, that must be the problem !!!!!!:lesson:

11. Rojo

Rojo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The more I read and communicate with people who have Toshiba sets the more I fear that this is something that you either accept and live with or decide to send back and look elsewhere.

It really is unacceptable on a set of this price and although the set has a fantastic picture in other respects, for me I'm unable to enjoy watching because now I know it's there, at a subconscious level, I'm looking for it (and invariably see it).

I'm almost at the point of ringing Robertsons and saying forget it, get a refund and wait to see if the next generation/range of sets resolve the issue.