Getting old pc to play games

alanfinal

Established Member
Reaction score
So without waffling to much ,we are on a tight budget ,myself and the Mrs often play Borderlands 3 in co op ,on our work pc's in our home office set up ,our young daughter wants to join us but we didn't have another pc ,so my brother donated a old rig which comprised Asus P6T ,i7 -920 @ 2.67ghz ,6gb ram (3x2), MSI GTX 970 ,corsair 650w PSU ,Windows 10 64 ,bought a cheap case to put it in ,trouble is the PC keeps randomly shutting down ,to date I have checked all drivers ,re installed windows ,managed to find 3 more matching sticks of RAM so now 12gb ,seemed to work without shutting down after removing and resetting RAM ,but now does it randomly after maybe a whole day of running , but biggest problem is it just wont run B3 ,even stuttering badly while loading ,so is it just it's not capable and motherboard ,CPU are not up to it ,I believe Graphics card should be as one of work PC's is only 1050ti and runs fine medium settings. Obviously I don't want to persist with a PC not capable.

Now a curve ball ,my brother who's not well ,wont waffle but had to move gave me a brand new motherboard which is a £220-£279 ,ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) ATX Motherboard,ddr4 ,he changed his mind and never used it ,now we haven't got the budget to build that one up but I am looking at the idea I could sell it and buy a budget AMD set up comprising something like a Gigabyte B450M S2H ,Ryzen 5 3600 find suitable Ram and use the rest of what I have (hopefully not PSU causing shutting down) ,other than that waiting a bit and buying a cheap but capable system that can manage to play what we want.

Last edited:
286099294_10228568078609719_3974176708011760257_n.jpg

This video

Suggests that the 970 should be able to handle borderlands 3 at 1080p. The i7 920 is a little long in the tooth but still a decent CPU.
Before throwing money about I would start monitoring the hardware. Download MSI afterburner and monitor GPU usage, temperature and Core clock speed as well as CPU temperature and clock speed. Double check the PSU has adequate ventilation as well, maybe give it a dust cleaning. Normally the PSU is the culprit for Systems just shutting down, but whocrashed is a piece of software that will tell you if it is hardware/software related.

This video

Suggests that the 970 should be able to handle borderlands 3 at 1080p. The i7 920 is a little long in the tooth but still a decent CPU.
Before throwing money about I would start monitoring the hardware. Download MSI afterburner and monitor GPU usage, temperature and Core clock speed as well as CPU temperature and clock speed. Double check the PSU has adequate ventilation as well, maybe give it a dust cleaning. Normally the PSU is the culprit for Systems just shutting down, but whocrashed is a piece of software that will tell you if it is hardware/software related.

Cheers I will give all that a try.

I've literally just taken apart a PC with this CPU in it :D
This shows it can run borderlands 3 albeit with a newer GPU

I'd agree with Delvey to have a look at PSU as a potential issue. The cpu, board and ram all seem to be able to run it ... gpu might make it slower than the video but should still at least run.

Thanks for answers everyone ,so I put MSI afterburner on and added an on screen display in game ,the CPU was sitting at 100 degrees ,so I have turned things off for now as I believe that's way to high.

Thanks for answers everyone ,so I put MSI afterburner on and added an on screen display in game ,the CPU was sitting at 100 degrees ,so I have turned things off for now as I believe that's way to high.
That will be causing the PC to shut down. The cooler is probably original so will need new thermal paste. Only a few £ and easy to do

That will be causing the PC to shut down. The cooler is probably original so will need new thermal paste. Only a few £ and easy to do
Yes already removed the cooler and ordered some thermal paste ,paste was hard and lumpy ,now all cleaned off and waiting ,thanks again.

Attachments

• 286264031_10228579628258453_2475615633322307731_n.jpg
    286264031_10228579628258453_2475615633322307731_n.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 53
Yes already removed the cooler and ordered some thermal paste ,paste was hard and lumpy ,now all cleaned off and waiting ,thanks again.
That looks terrible. Probably 10 years old to be fair

That looks terrible. Probably 10 years old to be fair
I should post photo of pc I took apart at weekend. Thermal paste was from 2008 :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom