1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting old games running on new systems.

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Lutz, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Lutz

Lutz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

I've curently got:

2.8gig P4, 800mhz FSB.
    1gig 400mhz RAM
    ATI 128mb 9800pro

Which runs pretty much anything I chuck at it.

Except old stuff.

I recently read that PCs are able to emulate other machines easier these days, but can't emulate older versions of themselves. How true.

I'd love to play TIE Fighter again, but after an install it just wouldn't work. It loaded fine, and the screens were OK, until you go into space, then nothing. I tried DoxBox, but that gave me a tiny a window a SERIOUSLY bad frame rate (Seriously, it was about 5 at a guess). And I've got the Collectors Edition, which was released after all the others. AFAIK it runs on win 98, but not XP. Compatability mode did nothing for it.

Any ideas? I'd rather not mod any of the settings as far as my PC arcitecture is concerned, I'm looking for a software solution (Like Dosbox) if possible...

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Lutz

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
  3. Lutz

Lutz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nope, but I'll give it a whirl this weekend. Thanks. :)

4. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I had similar problems getting even more recent games to run.

Since I changed my card from my older GForce 4 to Radeon 9800 pro and now 6800GT I can seem to get games like Rainbo six 3 to run anymore. even though it ran on my older gforce 4 and 9800 pro.

I cant understand why games i used to play wont work anymore!?

And b4 you ask I did try patching the game.

5. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I reckon a DOS emulator is your best bet

6. Lutz

Lutz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    CrispyXUK: Tried it, DosBox. Failed.

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    I had some games about 5 years old and played OK on my card until I used the latest drivers then when I went back to play them had all sorts of problems, so all I did was use the old drivers and I’m still using them as there is no real noticeable difference in performance.

8. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    This is a good example of a reason why consoles are better for gaming.

Any game made for a particular system will always play on it. No matter how old or new the game is.

9. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Seen as Tie Fighter was brought out during the days of the SNES I think that argument is slightly flawed. There is only one console that can play SNES games now and that is a chipped X-Box and you still basically need a PC to acheive that.

Some games don't run very well but others still run ok, as far as running older games goes the PC is the best by far as you can emulate pretty much any system from the PS1 and N64 backwards.

10. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    What I meant is that if you play an old game on the system it was intended for (no emulation) it will play flawlessly!

11. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    same can be said for a PC game - if I were to dig out some old 386-40DX and run up windows 3.1 and dos 6.2 .... I could load up Ultima Underworld 2 and run its sweetly - bare in mind thats nearly 15yrs old ;) .... I think I might still have a HD'less 8086 somewhere ... just need to find some 5 1/4" disks with dos on :p

12. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    people who defend consoles are usually people with rubbish pc's but that's not the case with you is it AML? Come on, put half life 2, doom 3 or riddick on your pc and then forget consoles ever existed ;)

13. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    oh and in respect of the original post, you may find that dos games don't work on new pc's for various reasons. Try VDMsound as another alternative dos emulator, i've found it to be very useful in the past. It can emulate sound, video, joysticks and memory.

Also, if it's a windows game, but windows 95/98 you will probably find it used DirectX 4,5,6 or 7 which are not inherently supported in DirectX 8.1 or 9.0 - I found that Rollcage stage 2 stops working if you install DX8, as it cannot run on anything higher than DX7

14. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    I have to agree with AML. The same could not be said for a PC when I was last playing PC games; I'd download new drivers for a game and find that the last one wouldn't work anymore (even though both games were out at the same time). I'm about to build an up to date PC, and I'll add some new games to it, but I know it won't be too long before I have to choose between downloading new drivers for new games, or being able to play old games.

It is one of the advantages a console has over a PC (obviously PCs have their advantages too). I played PC games for years before getting a console, as I prefer the style of games available on the PC, but PCs can be a pain.

In respect to original post - would be good if more backward compatibilty was available. I'll be keeping an old PII running 98 for old games until an alternative is available.

15. djsat2

djsat2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When using Dosbox did you up the CPU cycles? (CTRL + F12), i play doom1 using Dosbox and the framerate is bad to start however if i keep upping this CPU cycles the performance gets much better.

I found that Dosbos wouldnt work properly fullscreen on my LCD (timing errors!?) but on a CRT it worked fine.

16. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Doom games can be run using jdoom, lucasarts games (Adventure ones) can be run using scummvm if that helps