• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Getting NTL do they offer a product like this?

Sharpy2k6

Standard Member
I know that Sky have a product where you can view the same channel on your skybox on another tv in another room but you are unable to change channel.
im wondering if NTL have a similair product, as im hoping to use it so my dad can watch Sky Sports on the NTL downstairs and i watch it upstairs on my Samsung HD TV.

kennydies

Or just send your NTL signal to the booster box before going to each tv like I do.

H

harbournites

Sharpy2k6 said:
I know that Sky have a product where you can view the same channel on your skybox on another tv in another room but you are unable to change channel.
im wondering if NTL have a similair product, as im hoping to use it so my dad can watch Sky Sports on the NTL downstairs and i watch it upstairs on my Samsung HD TV.

harbournites- The Sky version is called Multi room or you use a device called a video sender(Tesco £27 ish pounds)
NTL do provide this service but not sure of it's name.
How's the SAMSUNG? Ive just bought the 40" but the picture quality is a tad on the poor side, espescially through SKY. I'm in the process of renewing the cables systematically to see if this make a difference....Then it's back to CURRYS if it's a no go!

CG121

Sharpy2k6 said:
Why do people need a 'product' to achieve simple things nowadays....?

Either get yourself a video sender or wire the UHF output into a splitter and run a cable to the second TV.

Personally, I would just get a second NTL box and enjoy the ability to watch something different.. :)

Sharpy2k6

Standard Member
well the fact im 17...and know NOTHING about wiring lol or what components to buy.

the Samsung is pretty good for a 26" tv. i use it mainly for my xbox 360 and as a pc monitor, or just to watch sky sports/sky news on the freeview really. picture quality is pretty good, but watching world cup final over freeview was naff cause my freeview aerial is pathetic and gets interfereance from a mobile phone and my fan so it was all blotchy, i just hooked up my old 20" tv and watched it through that.

chambeaj

What is the quality of digital TV on NTL like in comparison to Sky+ ?

Comments would be much appreciated.

Sky are messing me around big time at present (a long story!!) and I am at the point of telling them to stuff their subscription and deleting the direct debit.

I already have NTL broadband but am not familiar with what the picture quality of digital TV is like on NTL.

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments
Regards
Adrian

CG121

chambeaj said:

Comments would be much appreciated.

Sky are messing me around big time at present (a long story!!) and I am at the point of telling them to stuff their subscription and deleting the direct debit.

I already have NTL broadband but am not familiar with what the picture quality of digital TV is like on NTL.

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments
Regards
Adrian
PQ will be the last of your worries....
The performance of the box with all it's interactive upgrades is not too hot tbh...
If you've been used to $ky's (usually) faster EPG, you may not be that impressed..

You should also be aware of their 'customer services' [ahem] abilities too...

The thought "why can't we have someone in this country to compete with $ky" has crossed my mind on more than one occasion..

If PQ is your only concern, switch over.
Chances are your levels of support won't change beyond those experienced with $ky though...

chambeaj

CG121 said:
PQ will be the last of your worries....
The performance of the box with all it's interactive upgrades is not too hot tbh...
If you've been used to $ky's (usually) faster EPG, you may not be that impressed..

You should also be aware of their 'customer services' [ahem] abilities too...

The thought "why can't we have someone in this country to compete with $ky" has crossed my mind on more than one occasion..

If PQ is your only concern, switch over.
Chances are your levels of support won't change beyond those experienced with $ky though...

Thank you for the comments - most appreciated.

PQ (+ reliability of reception/box) is all I am concerned about to be honest.

Can you tell me who makes the NTL digital set top box's? are they quiet (i.e. not noisy fans like some of the Sky box's). I presume they do have basics such as RGB SCART output.

Kevo

chambeaj said:

Worse IMO :thumbsdow

I recently moved from NTL to Sky and the PQ is much better (apart from ITV!). Even when I had NTL I always used the TVs built in Freeview tuner (Pan 42PV500) first as even the PQ on that was better than NTL (I still use it for the rare occaision I watch ITV which is still better than Sky's).
The digital text is also faster on sky and Freeview.

CG121

chambeaj said:
Thank you for the comments - most appreciated.

PQ (+ reliability of reception/box) is all I am concerned about to be honest.

Can you tell me who makes the NTL digital set top box's? are they quiet (i.e. not noisy fans like some of the Sky box's). I presume they do have basics such as RGB SCART output.
As I understand it atm, NTL don't currently have a PVR product available and therefore standard STB's suffer zero noise..
(no HDD's or fans)
Popular boxes currently on the NTL network are from Samsung, but don't be surprised if you get a Pace. Both support RGB output. (but not optical audio)

The picture may depend on the headend itself, I can't say the feed in this area is any better/worse than $ky.

Paulie-W

chambeaj said:

I think the latest ntl boxes are made by samsung. If you check out http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/ you`ll find every answer regarding ntl and telewest. I recently moved from ntl to sky, but when with the former, theses guys were very helpful.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom