1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting no signal with my DVI - HDMI lead

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by irishkeet, Oct 13, 2005.

1. irishkeet

irishkeet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    HI

Last night I tried to do a simple (2 min) job of swapping the VGA lead for my new DVI - HDMI lead and I'm getting no signal through to the TV at all.

I was at it for well over an hour changing card settings etc, I have the Gigabyte 6600GT and the Samsung LE25R41BD TV and nothing! Im completely stumped...

Anyone have any ideas, is there a card setting Im missing?

It could be a faulty lead but I dont think so as the HDMI source only becomes available on the TV one you plug in the lead!

Any help/ideas will be greatly appreciated.

irishkeet :confused:

2. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Have you set the tv to receive via HDMI instead of VGA ?

3. Acecross

Acecross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Okay I have a similar set up to you, except I have the LE32R41BD and Dual Gigabyte PCI Express 6600GTs in SLI mode, but in essence its the same. i had similar problems to begin with.

If you connect the HDMI cable on its own to the DVI do you get a post screen when you boot? If not then you may need to change the settings using the VGA cable before connecting the HDMI.

Basically you may need to set the resolution to something like 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768 using the VGA cable. Then shutdown, change to the HDMI and reboot, and you should get a picture.

You will find that in the display properties for the 6600GT there are a few options for using a digital connection to a TV, you can set specific modes i.e 720 Progressive.

I also found a problem that when trying to get the image to fill the screen with no over or underscan using the utility included, if you use the option to remember settings it will cause the screen to loose the picture.

I will have another look tonight when i get in and see if I can get some more specific details on how I have my set up, but it is possible!

Tim

4. irishkeet

irishkeet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi
    How do I set the tv to accept HDMI? nothing stands out in the manual
    thanks
    keith

5. Acecross

Acecross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    You don't have to set the TV to receive HDMI, or at least you dont on the LE32R41BD and I can't see there being a difference.

If there is no HDMI input then it will not let you select HDMI for the input options.

If you can select it then it is a problem at the PC end not with the screen.

Tim

6. irishkeet

irishkeet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Aceross

I changed the res, shut down & swapped to the DVI/HDMI lead but all I keep getting is no signal :(

Once I swap back all is well again. I also tries using the VGA lead with the DVI/VGA adapter and with this I just get a black screen.

I reverted back to the driver that came on the CD too but no joy. Look forward to hearing from you later, thanks for the help so far - good to know it is possible as I was starting to pull out my hair - lol
    keet

7. irishkeet

irishkeet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    HI
    Yes I guessed that as the HDMI only becomes available once the lead is plugged in
    cheers
    keith

8. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Just checking...You are not plugging in the DVI-HDMI lead into a VGA out with a VGA -DVI adapter are you? Because that won't work as it will still be an analogue signal...I guess you won't but just in case...

9. Acecross

Acecross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thinking about it, I may have got mine to work initially with the VGA and the HDMI plugged in at the same time, setting them up in dual monitor mode.

When you connect both an Analogue monitor via VGA and a Digital via DVI - HDMI it should default to the VGA but then you can pick up the digital screen in the display settings and go from there.

10. irishkeet

irishkeet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    hi
    no not using the adapter, also tried to choose screens in the settings with no luck :confused:

11. irishkeet

irishkeet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi
    Ill try and hook up my PC LCD to the VGA with the HDMI connected to the TV and see if I have any joy, also got the latest Forceware drivers to install.

Do you reckon its worth getting the HDMI running as the pic is great with the VGA, will I notice much of a difference on a 26", I use the Pure Video software & TheaterTek

Cheers
    keith

12. Acecross

Acecross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    For me the choice of VGA or HDMI comes down to what you intend to use the system for.

The major disadvantage of HDMI is that you are limited to recognised video resolutions where as using the VGA you can run PC resolutions. This becomes apparant when you try to run a game with a menu that is in 800 x 600 through the HDMI. The TV will return 'no signal' as it does not recognise it as a valid resolution.

If you are going to play games this could cause problems.

I use my HTPC mainly for browsing the net and for watching movies through Theatretek, and the HDMI connections limitations with regards to PC resolutions do not really effect me.

To be quite honest I cannot tell the difference between the two and it was more of a case of well I am going to make it work just becasue rather than because there is a serious advantage in using HDMI over VGA.

If you are happy with the image through the VGA, and as you say it is pretty fine anyway, I wold say stick with the VGA for PC. Besides, this will leave you a free HDMI connection for all the new devices that will soon be wanting to make use of it (SKY HD, XBOX 360 etc).

Tim