1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting "No Satellite Signal is Being Received" on loads of Sky Digital channels

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Andy.T, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I wonder if anyone can help?

Been having some reception glitches the last few days with my Grundig Sky Digibox.

Today, things are worse, loads of channels (includding BBC, ITV, C4 etc) are not coming up at all, all I get is "No Satellite Signal is Being Received".

I have tried switching the Digibox off and completely unplugging it for a bit, removing the Viewing Card and re-inserting it, checking all connections, checking the Dish is still on the side of my house etc. but to no avail. :confused:

When I look in System Setup the Signal Strength is only about 25% and the Signal Quality is about 60%.

Any ideas?

2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine did that on sky+ last night

I watched something from the planner and it was fine again 10 minutes later

3. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine breaks up a lot these days, mainly on BBC channels but I never have less than 75% signal strength and quality.
    I'm trying to "get used to it" but it's as frustrating as hell and when I get I can get Freeview I think I'm going to swap over.

Simon

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Plenty.

Dish has moved very very slightly which could account for the very low signal strength. LNB has moved or is not switching correctly due to an internal fault or the commands sent to if from the digibox. The cable is water damaged and is reducing the quality of the signal being sent between the LNB and digibox.
    Finally the Digibox tuner itself is faulty.

If you are under warranty then get SKY out to fix the problem, if you are out of warranty then SKY do a one off charge for a service call which covers parts and labour to fix the system or go to an independent dealer.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Many people had problems when ITV launched since they are on 2D, these problems reappeared when the BBC channels moved onto 2D. Simply put a dish aligned by the installer on the default tranponder and giving good strength and quality readings does not guarantee good reception from the 2D satellite.
    The dish alignment needs checking as well as the position/skew of the LNB just to be on the safe side, there is no reason to put up with anything less than good reception from dsat.

6. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I came onto the forum to post the exact same message. My signal strength has been fine, but I'm getting "No Satellite Signal being received" errors all over the place! :mad: I'm also getting freeze frames occasionally, but that fixes after I switch channels. I've got regular Sky, with a Panasonic digibox.

And this has been happening since the Sky+ dual record download came out. Coincidence??? :mad: :mad: :mad:

7. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you're right about 2D Starburst - in the "good old days" all channels except ITV were rock solid and it was only ITV that I had any problems with - now they all do it (I think I only notice BBC most because it changed so much and it's what I principally watch).
    However, I have played around with the scew but in terms of re-positioning the dish itself how can I do that if there isn't a "normal" relationship between the signal strength and quality AND getting a non break up picture? BTW 75% is about the worst reading I get most of the time it's more like 90%
    Without some measureable target to aim at (100%?!) it seems I'll never achieve my goal.
    I have been wondering whether it might help using my old (larger) analogue dish or buying a new digital zone 2 dish...

Simon
    Simon

8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Same message for me, no channels visible and no playback from planner of previous recordings.
    Did a software upgrade and it has worked again perfectly including playback of recordings made whilst displaying this message.
    This has happened twice since dual recording download, both times I did the software upgrade to fix it.

9. rich tee

rich tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Out of interest, how many of you experiencing this problem are out of the 1st year warranty?

Mine started this almost to the day.
    as of next week Sky can stick it...

Rich tee.

10. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Thanks for the advice guys.

If the warranty is 12 months, I'm way out of it, I got Sky in July 99. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if I was to upgrade to Sky+ now would the installation charge cover making sure the cabling/Dish direction etc. was right?

Cheers,

11. fatbaldbloke

fatbaldbloke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Andy,

I've got the same problem as you. They're coming to install Sky+ this week. As it's a different LNB they'll have to re-align, and if it doesn;t fix the problem the new system will at least be in warranty

12. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My box is a couple years old, and out of warranty. but the odd thing is that I just recently cancelled my subscription. I was thinking maybe someone at Sky pushed the "screw up his signal" button at HQ just to teach me a lesson. ;)

But, after my box getting progressively worse, even after a forced upgrade, it seems stable now after a couple more hard reboots. (keeping fingers crossed) Considering I just paid for a callout last month for a misaligned dish, I'm in no hurry to do it again if my digibox packs it in.

13. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I will let you know after tomorrow (Monday). I am having Sky+ fitted and I have had similar problems with out of warranty Sky digital.
    I'm gonna make sure they fit it properly this time:mad:

14. ShaunIOW

ShaunIOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another one here who had the same problem this afternoon (original Sky box from June 2000). It isn't down to dish alignment as I have a mirror sub on a 2nd box and that was fine.

I tried everything Sky suggested and no luck, eventually I just unplugged the box and left it an hour (intending to try another box - I'm not paying 65 quyid for a callout I'd rather cancel) - it was weird, no Sport ones worked, Movies from 301-06 were gone, bit 307 on were fine, Sky 1 was there, but no Sky mix and so on, totally random. Anyway I gave it one last try after the hour and everything was back to OK.

15. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Sky+ now fitted - SUPERB :D

This time a Sky bloke came out and very helpful he was too. I told him of my problems with Sky and he found that the contractors who had installed it had not even used digital quality RF cable! That was why I had picture break up. He fitted Sky+ and relocated my other box - it all works fine now. He even left me about 10 metres of extra cable so I can relocate my other box after I've had an extension built.:)

This Sky bloke said that they are forever "mopping-up" after poor contractors and that he keeps telling Sky, but they use contractors as they're cheaper apparently:rolleyes:

SKY+ really is a cool peice of kit, although I'll have to wait "a week or 2" for the software upgrade to come through for 2 channel recording.

16. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

It's very easy to have problems on one digibox and not the other since they are fed by two seperate LNB outputs and use different cables and obviously each digibox sends commands to it's own LNB.
    There are plenty of things that can go wrong from high/low band switching, Vertical/Horizontal switching and the actual cable losing the signal due to water damage. Finally the digibox itself can have a tuner fault which could be down to age or perhaps overheating.

17. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Out of interest, if you have a poor signal and you are within the warranty period, can you ask Sky to come out and check the dish alignement and connections to the LNB?
    If there is no problem will they then charge you?

18. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Yes, the warranty covers the hardware and installation.
    If you are getting picture break up in good or bad weather then get them out, it may be a simple realignment or new cable but it could be a larger Zone 2 dish is needed. There is no charge if you are not getting any problems when the guy came to have a look, after all it's not your fault if a the problem vanished.
    SKY do not like giving anything away so any problems make full use of the warranty:)

19. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Nice one - I'll give them a call then as my signal levels are varying quite a lot so there must be a problem somewhere.

20. jpm61

jpm61
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse my newness on here but how do you do a software update on a Sky HD box?

21. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    A search on here or google would have found it, but here you go:)

Sky Digibox software - forced downloads

22. jpm61

jpm61
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Fernandez and sorry as well, I should have realised that :oops: