Getting new sound formats from a Denon A1D

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dUnKle, Nov 25, 2000.

Tags:
  1. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    I love my Denon and am in no hurry to replace it. I have listened to a few of the newer amps and although I found the newer 6.1 sound formats good I thought that for standard 5.1 sound my amp sounded better and one hands down in 2CH mode which I use rather alot.

Is there anyway that I can add the option of these new sound formats to my Denon. The amp has both 6Ch and 8Ch external inputs and also 2 lots of connections for external speakers

2. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Duncan, I reckon you will be able to achieve 6.1 sound via your A1D in the near future.

What you need is either a stand-alone processor that will decode EX and ES matrix/Discrete or a DVD player with inbuilt EX/ES decoders. You would then take the 8 outputs from the processor or DVD player into the 8 inputs on your A1D.

You would also need a 2 channel power amp (the Denon one that goes with the AV10SE would probably be a good match) to drive the extra pair of rear speakers - the signal to that power amp would come from the "effect" pre-outs on the back of the A1D.

I don't think there are any stand-alone (add on) EX/ES processors yet and I certainly haven't heard of any DVD players with EX/ES decoders to date but surely it's just a matter of time.

------------------
    This is a local shop for local people - there's nothing for you here!

3. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    There was a dedicated EX processor reviewed in HCC last month, but its review isn't on the site yet. I can't remember its name either. You would still need an extra power amp, though.

4. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    i would be inclined to wait until there is a worthy upgrade-the rear centre info is matrixed,there are very few discs with this anyway-and you know what`ll happen-they will bring out 8.1...then 10.1,,,,,,then 12.1...yuo`ll wind up with 20 speakers in your room....you wont be watching the film as you will constantly be wondering where the effects are coming from...you`ll get whiplash from constantly turning your head....and guess what the sound quality still wont be as good as that old 400 pounds hi-fi amp you threw away!!!!....as a footnote...the best sound i ever heard was from an old mono nat king cole record through an old sansui amp and two big old speakers...i sometimes wonder if we`re all being conned?....maybe we should save our money and go to the odeon leicester square more often....