Getting new phone

markgray86

Lost my Huawei mate 20 pro on the 1st day of my Honeymoon back in March. Today the insurance company has finally agreed to pay out. They have paid out £450 so that is around my budget, could go up to £500.

I am currently using a friends iPhone 5SE and I hate it.

I am currently still in my contract with EE until Nov 20'. I can upgrade early and get a new phone, early upgrade is around £200 which I could use the money from the insurance company. Or do I go and get a new phone online with out a SIM? If so, where is the best place to buy mobile phones SIM free?
lie
Also, what phones would people recommend? I like iPhone but 5SE is too small and so is 16gb! I liked my Huawei mate 20 pro but I believe the new Huawei's do not had the google store, I am not sure how much of an issue this is, what are peoples thoughts?

harry66

I have bought a few SIM free phones from Amazon UK over the years.
Good customer service as well - my wife Moto developed a fault after 10 months or so and Moto were not being very helpful so Amazon replaced it!

My current OnePlus 7T was also from Amazon UK and previous OnePlus 6 was also from them

BM08

You said you “hate the iPhone SE”, then afterwards said you like it buts it’s too small? You don’t hate it at all then, you can get it’s bigger brother if size is the problem, it’s hardly a deal breaker!

markgray86

You said you “hate the iPhone SE”, then afterwards said you like it buts it’s too small? You don’t hate it at all then, you can get it’s bigger brother if size is the problem, it’s hardly a deal breaker!
You’re I might not hate it then. But what I don’t like about it is the size, the storage and the speed of it. But I understand it is a fair few years old.

Dave X

You’re I might not hate it then. But what I don’t like about it is the size, the storage and the speed of it. But I understand it is a fair few years old.
You know there's a 2020 SE? Its now a 4.7" and is pretty speedy and comes in larger capacities.

tickedon

Definitely don't get any phone without GMS (Google's services). Any models that originally shipped with GMS still do - so for Huawei, a new Mate 20 Pro or the Huawei P30 (which shipped ~6 months later, and is almost identical bar a lower screen resolution), both still come with Google. I have a Mate 20 Pro myself and really not sure what I'd replace it with if I had to.

If you replace your phone every 2 years when your contract runs out it is less of an issue, but, Apple phones will normally get software updates for much longer than Android phones. I have an iPhone 8 Plus from work and I would really struggle with anything smaller (so rules out the new iPhone SE 2020 for me). I would probably look at: Samsung S20, Google Pixel 4 (or XL), or the iPhone 11.