1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting new denon 3805 TODAY!!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by phillfyspoon, May 15, 2004.

Tags:
  1. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I will keep u posted im picking it up today ,so excited I shall campare to my denon 2802 and might demo some more amps while im there and tell u my verdict on the latsest gen of amps. ;)

2. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pointless message.

3. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    pointless reply!!

Look forward to hearing your opinions phillfyspoon :smashin:

Giz.

4. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Me too, especially the stereo performance and sort of sound
    -in your face?
    -warm?
    -bass?

Barend

5. jamesl01

jamesl01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I will be interested to hear your thoughts as well.

6. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    ok people couldnt make it had to travel a distance to get it so change the today to tuesday lol
    I to would like to see what stereo performance is like as well as movies. I will go through every reference dvd and play all my cd's and then come here to tell u what I think.

7. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be interested to read your review and any comments you have comparing this with say the pioneer 5is

8. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    ok people i have it will give a little review tonight. awsome so far thats just music, going to have a good listen all day :)

9. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Looking forward to it.

10. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    ok I went from a denon 2802 to the new denon 3805. My current system: Mission volare centre, monitor audio s1 fronts, mission m5ds rear, rel q150e sub, sony ns930 dvd.

Opening the box revealed the remote which I must say impressed me it is very nice like a little gadget and auto turns on when you pick it up :) after fiddling with that it was time to get the amp out. Once I got it out the box had a good look at it build quality is very good and the silver finish looks the buisness and it has front inputs :clap: Once I hooked up everything into the back and switched it on I read the manual to do the auto setup feature with the little mic. Placing the mic on a load of boxes to reach listening position i ran the setup. It done a test tone on all the speakers and then gave me the results it was very accurate in the distance and set the speaker volume levels up so looked good. The one thing which surprised me it set my front s1's to large these are bookshelfs and dont go all that low, so i set that to small then clicked "store" which saved the settings. Now the good bit some music, I put in michael jacksons history album the first track being bille jean (classic) the amp was set in "pure direct" mode which shuts off all video sercuitry. I must say stereo performance is top notch for a av amp. The first difference i noticed from my old amp was the power and bass it put out which was very controlled and warm. Next I switched to dolby prologic II and the difference was huge the channel seperation from my old amp was alot better and showed this amp has some good sterring. Now the big one movies from the music I could tell it was going to be a very agressive sound. First film saving private ryan (dolby version) I was right about it being agressive but the biggest difference was the channel seperation and sterring I could hear every bullet and explotion much more then the old denon, I was wrapped around in a 360 degree soundfield and was very impressed so far, I thought the bass management was alot better also being more controlled and clean.

will let u know when i get more :thumbsup:

11. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sounds good so far, how much and where from? I'd like to upgrade my 3802

12. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    i got it from a very good dealer the best imo audio-t in southampton they price mathed it from an internet price :eek: for 800 amazing cheapest anywhere in the south was 999

13. jamesl01

jamesl01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Does your DVD player do upsampling of the CD signal? if so try coming out of audio direct mode and auto detect the sound mode whilst in DVD mode. It should pick up the upsampled signal and show '192khz' (or whatever it is) on the front screen.

In my setup this significantly improved the sound.

Cheers

james

PS know what you mean about Saving Private Ryan....sounds fantastic. :thumbsup:

14. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    yes it does thanks i will try the sound for music is really impressive im going through all my cd's

15. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Im most impressed with the cd performance on this machine and the movie performance is top class with bags of detail and dynamics. The imagery is amazing. the remote is a nice touch and it has all the features u could ask for. I think this amp is has a great performance/price ratio and wont be beaten easy at this price point no way, no how. Im very pleased and finally i have good cd performance.

16. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for a cracking review, i would be interested to see how you get on with the remote as a few comments have said that its not up to the task.

17. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    if im honest i think the remote may be flashy and everything but a "traditional" remote would do a better task. The reason is that I would have to go into a submenu to change a surround mode or something and this wouldnt be as fast, and it is a bit fiddly with the buttons because with a normal remote I just woulnt have to look at it to change something with this one I have to, also I dont like the volume control I find it very fiddly. The remote will wow you when first used but after a while it can be abit annoying. But apart from that the other features on this amp are great and perfromance is unmatched.

18. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so remote not so good, but as an amp, its still better than the pioneer asx5i

19. jamesl01

jamesl01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Agree about the remote. It also eats batteries. 3 weeks of use and I need 4 new triple A's.

James

20. gavintennant

gavintennant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    going to demo this am this week, but in actual use....

How do you rate, overall compared with 2802? Given the same speakers, same CDs/DVDs, how does it perform. Does the auto setup work aswll as an SPL?

I guess I listen to 30% music/ 40% TV/ 30% movies. Would this be good for me?

Ta for feedback!

g.

21. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Friends, I don't think we should rate Auto Setups too highly: IMHO we should regard it more like a starting point...my Harman Kardon AVR-5550 always sets the center too load (personal taste!).
    Nice about the Denon is that it's coupled to an equalizer, to include differences in room acoustics and even speaker differences, but make sure that it's out of the circuit for stereo.
    But always check the actual dB lift and cut values! :lesson:
    Barend

PS
    Noticed the 3805 is below 1100 Euro now in Germany, tempted, tempted...

22. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    overall difference between 2802 and 3805 is pretty big. Music difference is huge, TV (I have ntl) is alot better in dolby prologic II and movies also have a huge leap in dynamics and channel seperation. The auto setup feature is handy but an spl meter if done correctly could get better results, it can be good with the results but due to personal taste you might find yourself changing a few things.