Getting my x box connected to surroud sound and tv

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by paulmcglone130, Feb 4, 2009.

1. paulmcglone130

paulmcglone130
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help!!!
    I have a LCD HD TV mounted to my wall. From this runs
    a scart lead (inside the wall) connecting to my sky plus box located a few feet across the room. The sky box has 2 scart sockets. The tv scart cable is attached to one and my DVD player to the other. Both are connected to my surround system and work perfectly. Once I turn my DVD player on it automatically connects to the tv and the surround sound works.

My problem is if I replace the DVD connection on back of sky box with the Xbox connection there is no signal being
    picked up just the sky plus signal. I can connect my x box to the side of my LCD using the yellow, white and red cables minus a scart but this is messy and has wires running everywhere and my x box sitting on the mantle piece, last time my 2 year old pulled it down and smashed it! Also surround sound is not possible as the cable is too short to run from the side of the tv back to my surround system.

Can anyone help!!!???

Paul

2. minty_71

minty_71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    does your x box have a hdmi socket? if so you can get the x box hd cable pack. itcomes with hdmi cable and the audio block (optical) to connect to the tv.

also if you connect your xbox to a hd tv with a scart make sure the switch on the conector that comes out of the x box to the tv is set to tv and not hdtv. you only use the hd tv switch if your usining hdmi lead or component. scart and the red yellow and white are not hd, and you will get no signal through them. switch connector to tv if using (composite red white and yellow) or scart

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  3. paulmcglone130

paulmcglone130
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ,
    X box only has the power and standard AV in connections.
    I have a HDMI lead which I can plug into back of TV but it gets too messy and involves taking tv off the wall(not easy) re-mounting it all the time.
    Im not too bothered about having the HD graphics I just want some way of running my x box through my sky box the same as my DVD player and to get surround sound the same way.

4. minty_71

minty_71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    right ok i understand what your saying.. :)

daisy chaining the xbox through the skybox.. /.

not really sure why its not working..

you dont really have a lot of options tbh, mate apart from get the 360 directly connected to the tv (scart or hd..)

i know its pain that your have to take down your panel.. but in the end its the best and only soloution you have..

i realise how akward it can be i used to fit and install them for a living..

get a two friends over to hold it while you attatch the lead..

sorry i couldnt be any more help mate..

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  5. paulmcglone130

paulmcglone130
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD only has one Scart socket. Its baffleing me because the x box should just be a straight swap for the DVD player.
    Does not make any sense to me at all. Must be something simple I just cant figure it out....

6. paulmcglone130

paulmcglone130
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also my tv is 6 feet away at least from sky box, x box, dvd player etc. The only connection I can use to connect to the tv is my scart lead which runs through the wall from TV to Sky box. I have no other way of connecting to the tv except for this scart lead because of logistics :)
    Maybe its just an x box thing and it doesnt run through other equipment like a DVD player would?

:mad:

7. minty_71

minty_71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i re- edited my last post mate have a read..

yeah you could be right maybe the 360 wont work through other video devices..

8. paulmcglone130

paulmcglone130
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thanks for trying.

Just on a different note I will re-attach the hi def cable to tv but are there extension leads available to run back to my surround system. At the min I have sound connected to back of tv with a small jack. But if there are extension cables (about 2 metres long) to connect to surround sound it would be ideal.
    Do you know what I need to be looking for/ asking for.
    I imagine some sort of adapter for the red and white connections then a long cable with a red black connection at the end to connect to sound system.

9. minty_71

minty_71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i take it your x box has the standard tv connection lead.. like what came on the core /arcade/. yes..

if so you can get male to female rca leads. (red yellow white.)

or another option which would be better for sound and less cables, is to get the premuim x box av cable, it come with composite(red white yellow) or (component red green blue).
    it also has an optical out put so you could run an optical from the xbox to you amp (if it has a opitcal in) and your have less cables and your get 5.1 on the xbox.

10. paulmcglone130

paulmcglone130
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 3 cables.

Option one. XBox 360 VGA HD AV Cable Genuine Microsoft - £21.52 - TVCables

This has the best picture but the red ane white cables are too short to run back to my surround system. Is there some kind of extension adapter I can purchase to extend this.

Option 2.
    The standard red, yellow and white cable. Crap picture not really an option.

Option 3.
    Xbox 360 High Definition Component AV Cable (Xbox 360): Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Again what colours do I put into the side of the tv and how to I extend the other cables so I can reach the surround sound box?

11. minty_71

minty_71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    personaly id go for the best picture connection you can get.. so use the vga,, mate.. but to extend the audio cables your need to get male to female rca leads to increase the lenth of the cables.

rca is the name of the red and black plugs.. :)
    look on the net you should be abel to find some.. :)

hope this helps.