Getting my Pioneer DVR 220 to hear stereo from digibox?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by captainpacific, Jan 9, 2005.

1. captainpacific

captainpacific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    All was well until I tried to add in an old Philips ITV digital box into the system. Please can anyone help? Components are as follows:
    Philips iDTV with 3 scarts
    Pioneer DVR 220S with 2 scarts
    Panasonic VCR with 1 scart
    and now ... the Philips digibox.

My problem is that I cannot get the Pioneer DVR to see the digital channels in stereo - everything from the digibox is mono, whether the digibox is connected to the DVR scart or to the TV scart. All inputs / outputs on everything are set to RGB. All analogue channels are coming through to the DVR in NICAM stereo.
    Am I missing the plot here somewhere? :rolleyes: :lease:

2. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is the digbox set to nicam?

3. captainpacific

captainpacific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    The options on this Philips ITV digital box are stereo or mono, and it's set on stereo.

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Have you checked the 220 audio-in settings - page 82 of manual?

5. captainpacific

captainpacific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    The AV2/L1 In setting is on RGB. The Audio in settings are set at NICAM stereo, and the Pioneer does receive NICAM stereo on all channels except those coming from the digibox.
    The digibox output settings are on stereo and RGB and I've tried using the TV out scart socket on the digibox and the VCR out scart socket (no difference, except the TV out is better quality). :confused:

6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If the digibox is connected via scart to AV2 then the Audio In / External Audio setting applies and should be set to Stereo. Scarts don't use NICAM. they have separate conductors for L and R audio channels.

If the digibox is connected via RF (aerial) then the Audio In / NICAM Select applies and should be set to NICAM.

Apart from this there only seem to be two possibilities: the digibox is not decoding the stereo input or the broadcasts you have checked have been mono. If you have an audio cassete recorder with level meters then you could connect this to the audio outs of the 220 and see if the meters show the channels to be identical or different.

7. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    No digibox or Freeview box outputs NICAM.

Firstly a Philips ITV digital box is not a digibox. Digibox is a generic term for Sky digital receivers, yours is a DTT or Freeview box. Sorry to be pedantic but it can cause unnecessary confusion.

Why don’t you think the Freeview channels are not in Stereo, is it because your Pioneer recorder or TV does not say Stereo? If so that is correct, as most detect NICAM signals from analogue broadcasts and display Stereo if appropriate, the Freeview box output will be in Stereo if the programme being broadcast is in Stereo and the Freeview box is set to stereo, provided you are using Scart cables and the AV channel on your Stereo TV.

8. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    But if an external box has an RF output then presumably it would put NICAM on that?

9. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    No. Sky, Freeview and other digital STB’s don’t use NICAM they use MPEG. Secondly the cost of a NICAM remodulation on to the RF output will be enormous so the STB would not be economic for home use. RF outputs are always mono even on NICAM VCR’s.

10. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Of course - I forgot thet NICAM is terrestrial analog only
    I never thought about that, having always used scarts for VCR, Freeview box (no modulator) and DVD.
    And I suppose that is why DVD recorders rarely have modulators. I wonder if the mono sound situation applies to those that do.

So captainpacific's problem could be using a modulated output from his "digibox" - if it has one.

11. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    My Panasonic E85 does have a modulator but it is switched off and it would .

I think as I stated above he is looking for a Stereo indicator on his DVD-R or TV (or both) which (may) not appear as the signal is not NICAM.

12. captainpacific

captainpacific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Thank you for all your help guys - it's really appreciated. I'll try a few things that your comments have sparked and report back.
    Fred - it's not in stereo because my ears tell me so. I've compared identical programmes being transmitted on (say) Channel 4 terrestrial (stereo) and then on Channel 4 digital from the DTT. The latter are in stereo when the DVDR is not involved but mono when either listening via the DVDR or recording to it - the playback is definitely in mono.

13. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    In that case the only thing I can think of is a faulty Scart lead, has one of the audio pins been pushed back into the plug or bent over?

14. captainpacific

captainpacific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    :)
    Bingo. A huge thanks guys. It's working fine now. Your combined comments helped me to eliminate all possibilities down to ... a faulty scart lead. It works fine when straightened out and connected to the TV but not when bent over and connected into the DVDR.
    :hiya: :clap: :smashin: