1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting my new Tosh 32WL48 tomorrow

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Mike246, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    So watch this space. I figured it was worth a new thread on the subject.

In spite of all the hype on this forum and elsewhere, I am picking up my new Toshiba 32WL48 tomorrow (Saturday).

This is in advance of initial stock going exclusively to John Lewis, later stock going exclusively to Comet and Currys and numerous back-orders just about everywhere else.

I deserve it. My 14 year old B & O set is looking tired, the teletext is knackered and one of the speaker grilles keeps falling off.

Will the Tosh be as good as expected? This is new panel technology and driver electronics. Truth is I don't know but I do have faith in Toshiba to get it right.

I will report back when I have connected it up. That's assuming I can figure out how to get it out of the box and the channels tuned in.

All will be revealed.

2. DaveBUK

DaveBUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike,

Well done in getting the 32WL48 so early. Hope it lives up to your (our) expectations. If you fancy having a sneak preview of the owners manual for the 32WL48 then look here :http://tesc.toshiba.co.uk/Web/Website.nsf/ContentFrameSet?OpenFrameset and search on 32WL48X.

Please keep us informed of progress and the first review of the 32WL48.

Dave

3. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Dave,

That's most thoughtful. Just downloaded it and will take a look tonight.

4. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    I hope it turns out to be a stunner mike, how much u paying

5. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    If you haven't already, get yourself a dvd player with hdmi outputs. :)

6. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ironduke, Not avoiding the cost question but will reveal all when I get it.

Rob. Thanks for the advice. Checked my 2-year old Sony DVD and no HDMI output. Needless to say, would like to experience HDMI when I get comfortable with ordinary stuff. I have limited up-to-date technical knowledge, despite having been a design engineer with the Beeb many years ago.

What do I need? If I get a DVD player with HDMI, will I get the benefit with ordinary DVDs? What about Sky - Do I need a special decoder? My Amstrad digibox just about gets up in the morning! When will Sky start to broadcast HD?

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Mike,

Sky have announced they will start broadcasting HD in 2006 (hopefully in time for the World Cup) and I'd expect the STBs to have HDMI and component outputs. Hope this helps.

Steve

8. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have it yet? Whats it like?

9. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    He's probably too busy holding the remote in one hand while tuggin with the other

10. masher

masher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a look at the manual - no PiP/PaP, seems a bit poor :confused:

11. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Tuggin what? I can't imagine. If it's what I think you mean, I have to use both hands.

Anyway, pleased to report the safe new arrival. Courtesy of Unbeatable at £1299 plus petrol down the M25/M23 to pick in up from their Crawley warehouse.

Unbeatable had 3 in stock, the other two being sold to customers. Tosh GB were intrigued where they got them from as they have not had their stock in yet and will allocate to John Lewis, then Comet/Currys then others. Unbeatable told them they source from Europe which is intriguing as this was the UK model with English documetation.

Far to early to give an objective report but I will do. Initial impression is that the appearance is good and the set is easy to set up. On a strong UHF signal the picture is excellent; I read somewhere it uses 10mS pixels and there is certainly no blurring on fast movement. Colour rendition and sound are both superb.

Truth is I need to do some work here on my UHF house distribution and scart setup to get the best out of the set. These were not an issue with my old B & O set which was crapping out anyway.

Will report further is due course.

12. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    no PIP or PAP that is abit poor

13. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool. Are you able to post any photos of it?

14. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Picure attached

Attached Files:

15. DaveBUK

DaveBUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike,

Well done for being the first on this forum to get a 32WL48. A few quick questions :
    How does it look in the flesh ?
    Is the 500:1 contrast ratio an issue ?
    How is the Sky picture quality ?
    Is it a 32WL48B (i.e. a British version) ?

Regards

Dave

16. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I meant a photo of your screen, as you've set it up. I just wanted to get an idea of the size compared to other things.

Thanks

Skiny

17. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Dave,

The set looks very good. Tosh have not gone for black bezels or glass front, just minimal aluminium-coated look. Also the eye is not drawn to the bottom speaker panel, unlike the Sony. I should have realised this, but the stand is 'front-heavy' and sets the set back by six inches or so. Not a problem on a table but I have this on a shelf in a wall cabinet, so not ideal.

The contrast ratio is not a problem. I have set the brightness and contrast way down from their defaults for a picture that suits.

The PQ is undoubtably good but I have some problems which I need to solve. The quality on my old B & O set was not great but then neither was the set. Now that I have a decent receiver, it has shown up some limitations in the UHF setup.

I am using UHF looped through the Sky box and the video then up to a UHF/FM distribution system in the loft. This is overlayed with a scart setup using an auto scart switch. The problems are centred around co-channel interference on the decoder output frequency - I shifted this but found that the loft box filters out at channel 42 and above.

I need to replace the 'bits of string' with decent cables and bits to get optimum performance. Can anybody suggest a good 8-way UHF/FM loft distribution box to replace whatever is there?

Having said all that, I know that to get a decent picture I need to view using SKY and scart and have to make a few changes here. I would be keen to connect something to the HDMI input but not certain what or whether any material is available.

The label on the box says 32WL48P(B).

18. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Mike, just a quick question about the stand if I may. Does it swivel?

Thanks and good luck with it.

Dave

19. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    About 20 degrees each way

20. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the sound quality like from the built in speakers?

21. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The sound is clean rather than crisp and there are on-screen bass and treble controls. Somehow it seems a little boomy compared with my previous B & O.

22. AIKIDOSAM

AIKIDOSAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THE TOSHIBA SOUNDS LIKE A BARGAIN SO COME ON GIVE US MORE INFORMATION DONT KEEP ME IN THE DARK MY MONEY IS BURNING A HOLE IN MY POCKET. HERE ARE SOME QS. Is it hd ready,How big is the viewing screen,Whats it like for for the xbox/plastation/dvd/sky/ntl.Would be very helpful if you would answer these.Thanks

23. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Mike,

Do you have RGB output selected on your Sky box? This should get you the best picture from Sky. But to see the RGB on the TV your scart lead(s), and switchbox, if you use it, have to be fully wired. Some cheaper and older scart connectors don't have all have all the pins connected. The RGB signal uses different pins to the composite (UHF) signal. Why do you need UHF distribution? Do you have a TV set elsewhere in the house?

To get the best image from your Sony DVD player use its component outputs (which look like a set of 3 phono sockets labelled Y/Cb/Cr or Y/Pb/Pr), if it has them. Otherwise it should be able to do RGB over SCART like the Sky box, and the TV has two RGB capable SCART inputs (so you can probably ditch the switchbox).

There aren't many DVD players with HDMI output yet. I was thinking of teaming the 32WL48 up with the Denon DVD3910, which has HDMI output and good quality scaling (and costs £800).

I would like to buy an lcd tv to use as both tv and computer display, and have had my eye on the 32WL48. I've just downloaded and looked at the manual for the 32WL48, and I'm disappointed that it doesn't list 1366x768 as an available PC input mode. 576i and 576p (PAL) are also missing from the list of inputs on the HDMI, so I'm starting to feel that this isn't the tv for me.

Do you know if the picture settings on the 32WL48 are remembered for each input, or is there just a global setting?

Cheers, James

24. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whether the money is burning in your pocket or not and you decide that you must have it NOW, you won't be able to get one in stock easily anyway.

So what's the rush!!!!

Alex

25. DaveBUK

DaveBUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want a bit more technical details on the 32WL48 then go to the Toshiba Singapore website http://www.toshiba.com.sg/__48256BAC0062814D.nsf/webDocuments/TSPS-65QCXT and download the pdf brochure. Although it is not quite the same (i.e.32WL48E) there are some interesting specification details that I think are likely to apply to the 32WL48P(B) i.e. British version. E.g. 8ms(max) response speed seems pretty good.

Regards

Dave

26. AIKIDOSAM

AIKIDOSAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just looked at the Toshiba Singapore website looks impressive but will it live up to the hype need to view it face to face but nobody has them on show.Anybody know who has them.Thanks for the tips

27. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Guys,

Have not done a runner. I am not in a position to give a full report on the 32WL48 but promise to do so. This is because changing sets has shown up shortcomings in the UHF and scart arrangements which I am addressing.

An example of this is that the loft box presents a low signal. Fine for the CRT sets around the house but the Tosh is not tolerant of this, particularly the VCR output which looks like crap.

Why isn't he using scart input, I hear you say. Well, I am but my peripherals are 7 metres cabling distance from the Tosh and I have found that a scart switch with a 10 metre scart cable (good quality at that) present their own challenges.

So, this weekend will be spent replacing cables and the distribution system to minimise losses. In the meantime, the Tosh appears to be as capable as all the others and I am happy to deal with specific questions.

In answer to the above

- it does have an HD input (along with connectivity of every conceivable sort) but I must take it on trust that it works

- the screen area is 67 x 39 cm

- works fine with SKY (Amstrad box with scart)

- picture settings are global

- John Lewis will be the first to get stock and have it on display. I am in Elstree and can always make some time for any interested party

28. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike,

Good luck with the set-up - sounds awfully complicated.

One question for you. What does it look like at a viewing distance of 2m with Sky? (films & sport) I'd really like a 32" LCD but am beginning to think that I might be asking too much from this distance. However, none of the top makes seem to do a 28" or 30" in their latest ranges and a 26" would be no bigger in reality than the old 20" portable CRT I have just now.

29. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike246: Will you be connecting the screen up to a HTPC?

How do you work that out? It would be 6" bigger, with approx 8" more viewable. :confused:

30. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm guessing he's comparing a 4:3 20", to a 26" widescreen, in particular a 4:3 image displayed on both :)