Getting my first Plasma

luminasty

Standard Member
I've recently purchased a plasma tv (an LG50ps3000) which is getting delivered tomorrow.
I just have some concerns about screen burn (im sure youre sick of tv noobs crapping their pants over this..). I've read some threads and most mention to take it easy with static images in the first 100-200 hours of use. Does this include black borders that you get with different screen ratios?

How long will an image have to be on the screen for before it burns in? I bought it mainly for playing games on but i was thinking of leaving it on for a couple of days with a dvd on repeat? :D

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I've recently purchased a plasma tv (an LG50ps3000) which is getting delivered tomorrow.
I just have some concerns about screen burn (im sure youre sick of tv noobs crapping their pants over this..). I've read some threads and most mention to take it easy with static images in the first 100-200 hours of use. Does this include black borders that you get with different screen ratios?

How long will an image have to be on the screen for before it burns in? I bought it mainly for playing games on but i was thinking of leaving it on for a couple of days with a dvd on repeat? :D

:)

It is a concern, but with sensible use, it shouldn't be a problem.

My advice would be take the settings out of dynamic, pull contrast and brightness down as much as you can stand and limit play to 30 mins for a while.
Take a break and just put a normal constantly changing pic on for a couple of mins.
Then you should be fine to go again.
That's good advice for gaming re: RSI anyway, let alone screenburn, imo :)

The same applies to borders too.
Change them to the light grey and turn any picture wobbling features on (read the manual).

tvbox

Does this include black borders that you get with different screen ratios?
[/B]
Yes it does. Use the Zoom functions in the aspect menu to get rid of them, but the picture might be a bit distorted.

Unfortunately, LGs are prone to Screen burn and Image retention, so you have to be carefuld in the first few hours by turning the contrast down. After that, you still have to be careful as it's LG:thumbsdow

Screen burn depends on how bright the image is. A CNN logo is probably the worst. It depends on the settinjgs how long the image will be on for.

After playing games, it's recommeded to watch normal tv to wash the image away if it has stayed there. If it's really bad, then tune into a no signal analogue snow channel for a few hours. That should do the trick

Hope that helped :D:hiya:

bladedripper

Distinguished Member

luminasty

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice guys. Sort of not looking forward to receiving it now.... :rolleyes:

After its been used for awhile will i still have to make sure the black borders are not visible?

E9 Smooth

Thanks for the advice guys. Sort of not looking forward to receiving it now.... :rolleyes:

After its been used for awhile will i still have to make sure the black borders are not visible?

You should of come top the forum before you bought the tv not after. The LG tv's are good, but are known for their image retention. So for mainly gaming I would of consider something else, but alot of people on the forum use LG tv's for gaming. I would of personally got a Panasonic.

How much did you spend on the tv or what was your budget. You can always send the tv back before opening it an order a different tv. But the LG is still a good tv :thumbsup: .

Monarch

Distinguished Member
It'll still take quite a few hours to permanently burn in an LG once it's been run in a bit, as mentioned above just turn down a few of the settings and limit play for the first 200 hours or so of use, just putting freeview on (without bright channel logos) is fine for running it in. You will probably have to limit gaming a little throughout its life, but my LG plasma (from last years range) is used largely for gaming (probably the primary use, although a decent amount of SD TV) and I can have a 3 hour session with no worries, It's between 400 and 500 hours into its life, so it's not as huge a problem as it's made out at times, although I do get retention (no permanent damage so far, and no signs of it!).

Black bars only take seconds to completely go, they're no where near as bad as actual image retention, after watching Iron Man (a couple of hours long) the bars were gone after about 30 seconds of regular TV. Also, being a gamer, you may want to game in the dark/dim, in which case it wont hurt to turn down the settings anyway so that the picture isn't too bright, making image retention better.

Keep an eye on it throughout its life, take it easy in its early hours and wash out any image retention after gaming and you should be fine, permanent damage is still rare on the LGs, they're not particularly prone to burn in, just retention

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member

Look, just be careful and you'll be ok imo ;)
LGs are prone, but don't get worried about it, just use your loaf.

If you want to be ultra cautious, try 10 mins gaming, pause, then turn over for a couple of mins for the first 200 hours.

Don't be put off, a plasma is miles better than an LCD at the money, imo.

luminasty

Standard Member
You should of come top the forum before you bought the tv not after. The LG tv's are good, but are known for their image retention. So for mainly gaming I would of consider something else, but alot of people on the forum use LG tv's for gaming. I would of personally got a Panasonic.

How much did you spend on the tv or what was your budget. You can always send the tv back before opening it an order a different tv. But the LG is still a good tv :thumbsup: .

I was trying to get advice on tvs here before but stopped getting help etc so i just took the plunge. Spent £880 on it which was around my budget.

Thanks for everyones help. I'll just be cautious with it for awhile. Crap thing is i dont even get a tv signal and dont have sky etc so i'll have to get some new dvds in me thinks!

Monarch

Distinguished Member
Remember to use the zoom function but seriously, don't worry too much. Game in sensible time slots and take breaks if your having a long session, 10 minutes while you put the kettle on or something is all it needs to wash away at least the majority of image retention after an hour or two.

E9 Smooth

I was trying to get advice on tvs here before but stopped getting help etc so i just took the plunge. Spent £880 on it which was around my budget.

Thanks for everyones help. I'll just be cautious with it for awhile. Crap thing is i dont even get a tv signal and dont have sky etc so i'll have to get some new dvds in me thinks!

You should be fine anyway. But if gaming in front of the tv is your second life like me :D, you might get problems. Just run you tv in overnight for several days. Just please please please dont leave your console on pause and sleep off. Pause AND switch the screen off :thumbsup:

Monarch

Distinguished Member
Oh, and one thing to add, some games are worse than others, some games cause very little retention at all, others do cause quite a lot. I found myself on civilization revolution for a few hours the other day (it's hard to stop playing...) and there was hardly a hint of retention. But after a 3 hour session on 007 Quantum of Solace you can fairly clearly see the little man in the corner (representing the health), it's always washed off though, even when time has passed me by a bit :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom